How Does Introducing Gas into a Torus Affect Vapour Pressure?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a thorus filled with liquid and vapor, divided into two parts by a porous membrane. The question asks how much the vapor pressure has changed after pumping a gas into one part of the thorus. The individual has not been able to solve the problem and is seeking help.
tirrel
Hi... I found this site a lot time ago and sometimes I feel like viewing your problems, maybe in a future I'll be active... I want to say that this IS NOT an homework, but it's an exercise I was never able to solve and so I try to put it here, even if I don't know whether it is the right section of the forum...

Homework Statement

I'll try to describe a picture.

This is the situation. Imagine a thorus half-filled with a liquid. At the beginning of course the water will fill the lower part of the torus (part A) and the other part (part B) will be filled with its vapour. Now dived part B using a membrane pouros with respect to the vapour. This membrane at this moment doesn't have physical effects, but it divides part B of the thorus into part B1 and B2.

Now we take a gas which the membrane doen't let pass and pump it at pressure P into part B1 of the thorus.

Data: density of the liquid: $n_L$, density of the vapour $n_v$.

Question: how much has changed the vapour pressure from its initial value?

Homework Equations

boh...law of perfect gases?, chemical potentials?, work done by the gas pumped?...

The Attempt at a Solution

Actually I don't have serious attempts to propose... it's years that I haven't got a solution to this problem...

Physics news on Phys.org
I tried to work using the law of perfect gases but it did not work and now I'm stuck. I would like to find a way to solve this problem... Thanks in advance.

As a scientist, it is important to first understand the problem and gather all relevant information before attempting to solve it. From the given information, it seems that the problem involves changes in vapour pressure due to the introduction of a gas into one part of a torus filled with liquid and vapour. Some important factors to consider in this scenario are the properties of the liquid and vapour, the effects of the membrane, and the pressure and density of the gas being introduced.

To solve this problem, one could use the ideal gas law to calculate the change in vapour pressure. However, this may not be accurate as the gas being introduced may not behave as an ideal gas. Another approach could be to use chemical potentials to determine the change in vapour pressure. This would involve considering the interactions between the liquid, vapour, and gas, as well as the work done by the gas as it is pumped into the thorus.

It is also important to consider the physical effects of the membrane on the system. How does it affect the distribution of the liquid and vapour in the thorus? Does it have any impact on the pressure or density of the gas being introduced? These are all important factors to consider when attempting to solve this problem.

In conclusion, this problem requires a thorough understanding of the properties of the system and the interactions between its components. It may also require the use of multiple equations and approaches to accurately determine the change in vapour pressure. As a scientist, it is important to approach problems with a critical and analytical mindset, and to continue exploring different solutions until a satisfactory answer is found.

1. What is vapour pressure?

Vapour pressure is the pressure exerted by a vapour in thermodynamic equilibrium with its condensed phases (solid or liquid) at a given temperature in a closed system.

2. How does temperature affect vapour pressure?

As temperature increases, the vapour pressure of a substance also increases. This is because higher temperatures provide more energy for the molecules to escape into the gas phase, resulting in a higher vapour pressure.

3. What factors influence the change of vapour pressure?

The main factors that influence the change of vapour pressure are temperature, surface area, and intermolecular forces. Higher temperatures and larger surface areas result in higher vapour pressure, while stronger intermolecular forces lead to lower vapour pressure. Additionally, the type of substance and its phase (solid, liquid, or gas) also play a role in determining vapour pressure.

4. What is the relationship between vapour pressure and boiling point?

Vapour pressure and boiling point have an inverse relationship. As vapour pressure increases, boiling point decreases. This is because at higher vapour pressures, the substance can escape into the gas phase more easily, resulting in a lower boiling point.

5. How is vapour pressure measured?

Vapour pressure can be measured using various techniques such as manometry, distillation, and gravimetric methods. These methods involve creating a closed system with a known volume of gas and measuring the pressure at different temperatures to determine the vapour pressure. Alternatively, vapour pressure can also be calculated using equations such as the Clausius-Clapeyron equation.