Change of variables cylindrical coordinates

In summary, the problem involves evaluating the integral of xy^2z^2 over the part of a cylinder of radius 9 centered on the z-axis and bounded by y>=0, z=-17, and z=17. The integral is set up using polar coordinates and the range for the dr-integral should be 0 to 9, not 0 to 3. However, the final result for the integral is 0 due to the symmetry of the equation.
manjum423

Homework Statement

Let S be the part of the cylinder of radius 9 centered about z-axis and bounded
by y >= 0; z = -17; z = 17. Evaluate
[itex]\iint xy^2z^2[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I use the equation [itex]x^2 + y^2 \leq 9[/itex], meaning that r goes from 0 to 3
Since [itex]y \geq 0[/itex], θ goes from 0 to ∏
So the integral looks like this:
[itex]\int_0^∏ \int_0^3 \int_{-17}^{17} (rcosθ)(rsinθ)^2 z^2 r dzdrdθ[/itex]
And I get:
[itex]\int_0^∏ \int_0^3 \int_{-17}^{17} r^4 cosθsin^2θ z^2 dzdrdθ[/itex]
I'm having trouble evaluating this integral because for the [itex]\int_0^∏ cosθsin^2θ [/itex]part. I get 0 (When u=sinθ by u-substitution and you get [itex](1/3)sin^3θ [/itex] from 0 to ∏)
Basically I would like to know if my limits and my setup is correct, and if anyone can help me out with a solution I would be grateful.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, firstly, the range of the dr-integral should be 0 to 9 not 0 to 9 because we're dealing with the cylinder of radius 9, not the equation x^2+y^2 <= 9.

But that won't affect the problem, I just did this myself and I also got 0. Unless someone else can point out a mistake we both made, I think that's the answer.

Edit: That makes sense, I think, because the equation w=xy^2z^2 is symmetric across the y axis.

FAQ: Change of variables cylindrical coordinates

1. What are cylindrical coordinates and how are they different from Cartesian coordinates?

Cylindrical coordinates are a type of coordinate system used in mathematics and physics to describe the position of a point in three-dimensional space. They are different from Cartesian coordinates in that they use a distance from the origin, an angle from a reference plane, and a height or depth from the reference plane, instead of just three perpendicular axes.

2. Why do we sometimes need to change from Cartesian coordinates to cylindrical coordinates?

Changing from Cartesian coordinates to cylindrical coordinates is useful when dealing with problems involving symmetry, such as those in cylindrical or spherical objects. It can also simplify certain calculations, such as finding the volume or surface area of a cylinder or cone.

3. How do we convert from Cartesian coordinates to cylindrical coordinates?

To convert from Cartesian coordinates (x,y,z) to cylindrical coordinates (r,θ,z), we use the following equations:
r = √(x^2 + y^2)
θ = arctan(y/x)
z = z

4. What are some common applications of cylindrical coordinates?

Cylindrical coordinates are commonly used in fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy to describe the position and motion of objects. They are also used in the study of fluid dynamics, where they can simplify certain equations and make them more easily solvable.

5. What are the limitations of using cylindrical coordinates?

Cylindrical coordinates are not suitable for describing all types of shapes or objects. They are most useful for problems involving cylindrical or spherical symmetry. Also, some problems may require a combination of cylindrical and Cartesian coordinates to accurately represent the situation.

Back