Change of variables to polar coordinates

In summary, if you are solving for x and y in trans. equations and substituting, you need to add a factor of r to the terms to get the right result.
Defconist
I thought I grasped coordinate changes well, but now I've run into some problems. Usually I would have some function [itex] f(x,y) [/itex] and transformation equations like [itex] s = a*x+b*y [/itex]. I would apply chain rule and stayed left with new equations in new variables. (old ones get away through differentiation).

My question is, what if are transformation equations more complex and old variables don't fade out? More specificaly, how can I convert [itex] f_x(x,y) [/itex] to polar coordinates ?

my attempt:

[tex]\theta = Arctan(y/x)[/tex]
[tex]r = x^2+y^2[/tex]
[tex]\phi(r,theta) = f(x,y)[/tex]
[tex]\phi_x = \phi_rr_x + \phi_\theta\theta_x[/tex]
[tex]\phi_x = \phi_rx\sqrt{x^2+y^2} + \phi_\theta(\frac{y}{x^2+y^2})[/tex]
now I got the idea to solve for x and y in trans. equations and substitute, but I'm not sure
[tex]\phi_x = rcos(\theta)\phi_r + \frac{sin(\theta)}{r^2}\phi_\theta[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Defconist said:
I thought I grasped coordinate changes well, but now I've run into some problems. Usually I would have some function [itex] f(x,y) [/itex] and transformation equations like [itex] s = a*x+b*y [/itex]. I would apply chain rule and stayed left with new equations in new variables. (old ones get away through differentiation).

My question is, what if are transformation equations more complex and old variables don't fade out? More specificaly, how can I convert [itex] f_x(x,y) [/itex] to polar coordinates ?

my attempt:

[tex]\theta = Arctan(y/x)[/tex]
[tex]r = x^2+y^2[/tex]
[tex]\phi(r,theta) = f(x,y)[/tex]
[tex]\phi_x = \phi_rr_x + \phi_\theta\theta_x[/tex]
[tex]\phi_x = \phi_rx\sqrt{x^2+y^2} + \phi_\theta(\frac{y}{x^2+y^2})[/tex]
now I got the idea to solve for x and y in trans. equations and substitute, but I'm not sure
[tex]\phi_x = rcos(\theta)\phi_r + \frac{sin(\theta)}{r^2}\phi_\theta[/tex]

[itex]x= r cos(\theta)[/itex] and [itex]y= r sin(\theta)[/itex] so your terms are missing a factor of r;
[tex]x\sqrt{x^2+ y^2}= (r cos(\theta))r= r^2 cos(\theta)[/tex]
and
[tex]\frac{y}{x^2+ y^2}= \frac{ r sin(\theta)}{r^2}= \frac{sin(\theta)}{r}[/tex]
but that's the right way to proceed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, I've been sudying PDE's few days in a row and I'm really getting tired..I should take a break and yet I can't, it's so interesting..

1. What is the purpose of changing to polar coordinates?

The purpose of changing to polar coordinates is to simplify mathematical expressions and calculations, particularly in problems involving circular or symmetric shapes. It can also make it easier to visualize and understand certain concepts.

2. How do you convert from rectangular coordinates to polar coordinates?

To convert from rectangular coordinates (x,y) to polar coordinates (r,θ), you can use the formulas r = √(x² + y²) and θ = arctan(y/x), where r represents the distance from the origin and θ represents the angle measured counterclockwise from the positive x-axis.

3. Can you use polar coordinates in three-dimensional space?

Yes, polar coordinates can be used in three-dimensional space by adding a third coordinate, usually denoted as z, to represent the height or depth of a point. The conversion formulas are slightly different in this case, but the concept remains the same.

4. How do you graph equations in polar coordinates?

To graph an equation in polar coordinates, you can plot points by substituting different values of θ into the equation and converting them to rectangular coordinates. Alternatively, you can use a graphing calculator or software that has a polar graphing function.

5. What are some common applications of polar coordinates?

Polar coordinates are commonly used in physics, engineering, and mathematics to solve problems involving circular or symmetric shapes, such as calculating the trajectory of a projectile or finding the area of a circular region. They are also used in navigation and mapping, as well as in polar coordinate systems such as the GPS system.