1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Changing electric flux caused by a resistor

1. Feb 11, 2012 #1
    I'm learning the basics about electromagnetism, including that a changing electric flux through an open surface causes a magnetic field. Obviously a capacitor causes this, but doesn't a resistor like a light bulb (whose resistance varies with temperature and therefore time) also cause this?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2012 #2
    Yes. Part of the magnetic field around the resistor comes from the current that flows through it. Another part comes from the time-changing electric field that spans it. You would model this as a capacitor in parallel with the resistor.

4. Feb 11, 2012 #3
    That makes sense. Thanks. I assume that the resistance of ALL resistors increases with increasing temperature. Is there a crude, classical physics model to understand why this is so?

5. Feb 11, 2012 #4
    I'm going to take a stab at answering my own question from post 3. I think that as the temperature goes up, the average distance an electron in a resistor travels before changing direction decreases because the atoms in the resistor are jiggling faster. Is that right?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook