Characteristic X-Ray Kα & Kβ Line Energies

In summary, the characteristic energies for the Kα line and Kβ lines can be calculated using the formula E = (energy level) (Z-1)^2/n^2, with Z = 74. The Kα line is produced by transitions from the L to the K shell, while the Kβ line is produced by transitions from the M to the K shell. The energy difference between the two levels (E2-E1) is used to calculate the characteristic energy. It was clarified that the energy level used in the formula is the one for the initial (higher) energy level.
nmsurobert

Homework Statement

What are the energies of the characteristic Kα line and Kβ lines?

Homework Equations

K-shell ( n =1):-69.5 keV
L-shell ( n =2 ): -11.3 keV
M-shell ( n =3 ): -2.30 keV
Z = 74
E = (energy level) (Z-1)2/n2

The Attempt at a Solution

for alpha i have
(-11.3keV) (74-1)2/22 for n =2

i know to find the energy characteristic i need to go from n=1 to n=2. so i know E = E1-E2
but for n=1 do use the energy level of the Kshell or the energy level of the Lshell?
in the lecture notes the instructed used the same energy level but didnt specify which one.

Physics news on Phys.org
The emmission occur when the electron transits from a higher energy level to a lower energy level,
eg E2 -E1
The Kα line is produced by transitions from the L to the K shell and the Kβ for transitions
from the M to the K shell - see HyperPhysics X-ray transitions.

Ok thank you. So it's E2-E1? My instructor did it the other way.

But I still don't know which energy level to use. Like I said my instructor used the same energy level twice. She didn't specify if it was the Kshell or the Lshell.

The picture Andrevs link is clear enough !
Kα radiation is emitted when the energy of the electron goes down from E2 = -11.3 keV to E1 = -69.5 keV

ok i get it guys. i was misinterpreting the question as well as the procedure to solve it.

thank you!

You're welcome.

1. What is the significance of Kα and Kβ line energies in characteristic X-ray emission?

The Kα and Kβ line energies represent the transition of an electron from the K shell to the L shell and M shell, respectively. These transitions produce characteristic X-rays, which are used to identify the elements present in a sample.

2. How are Kα and Kβ line energies affected by atomic number?

The Kα and Kβ line energies increase with increasing atomic number. This is due to the higher nuclear charge, which results in a stronger binding force for the electrons in the inner shells, leading to higher energy transitions.

3. What factors contribute to the broadening of Kα and Kβ lines in characteristic X-ray emission?

The Kα and Kβ lines can be broadened by several factors, including the energy resolution of the X-ray detector, the chemical environment of the sample, and the Doppler effect due to thermal motion of atoms in the sample.

4. How do Kα and Kβ line energies differ in their ability to distinguish between elements?

Kα and Kβ lines have different energy levels and therefore different wavelengths, which can be used to differentiate between elements. Kα lines have higher energies and shorter wavelengths, making them better for distinguishing between elements with similar atomic numbers, while Kβ lines are better for elements with larger atomic numbers.

5. Can Kα and Kβ line energies be used to determine the concentration of elements in a sample?

Yes, the intensity of Kα and Kβ lines in characteristic X-ray emission is directly proportional to the concentration of an element in a sample. This allows for quantitative analysis of the elements present in a sample using X-ray spectroscopy.