1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Charge, before and after two touching objects.

1. Jan 19, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A plastic rod that has been charged to − 14nC touches a metal sphere. Afterward, the rod's charge is − 10nC . What kind of charged particle was transferred between the rod and the sphere, and in which direction? That is, did it move from the rod to the sphere or from the sphere to the rod?

[A] electrons, from the rod to the sphere
    electrons, from the sphere to the rod
    [D] protons, from the rod to the sphere
    [D] protons, from the sphere to the rod

2. The attempt at a solution

I first picked B. My reasoning was since the rod started with -14nC, and the number increased to -10nC, this meant that it gained electrons.

Apparently the answer is A, it loses electrons.

This leads me to believe that I only have a half-understanding of what is happening with negative and positive charges. What am I missing?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

electrons are negatively charged ... if you gain electrons, you get more negative, or less positive.

the only charges that could move between the two solids is, of course, the electrons.

4. Jan 20, 2014 #3
    Thank you.

So that means an electron's charge is simply a property, and not a quantity, right? Now I realize that duh - you can't have a negative quantity of something.

5. Jan 20, 2014 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

But you can have a negative quantity ... it's a negative quantity of charge, not a negative quantity of electrons.
    You can have a negative quantity of electrons - that would involve removing electrons, which would make the charge less negative and more positive.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted