Charge Density (Relaxation Time)

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation for the rate at which charge density decreases in a conductor due to repulsion. The equation, ρv(t) = ρv(t=0)e^(-t/tr), shows how the charge density decreases over time, with tr being the relaxation time. The function is normalized by the starting density at t=0. To find the time it takes for the charge density to decrease to a specific amount, one can set ρ equal to that amount and solve for t. There may be some confusion about the wording in the original statement, but it is clear that the function describes the decrease in charge density over time.
jeff1evesque
Statement:
If a volume charge distribution existed inside a conductor at t = 0, the charges would quickly migrate to the outside surfaces due to repulsion. The rate at which the charge density would decrease is given by:
[tex]\rho_{v}(t) = \rho_{v}(t = 0)e^{-\frac{t}{t_{r}}}[/tex] where the relaxation time, [tex]t_{r}[/tex], is [tex]t_{r} = \frac{\epsilon}{\sigma}[/tex].

Question:
But to me, it seems [tex]\rho_{v}(t) = \rho_{v}(t = 0)e^{-\frac{t}{t_{r}}}[/tex] is a function that is not defined. Where is the equation that makes the charge density decrease? Both sides of the equality (above) is a function that is not defined. I feel like this equation is like saying take the equation [tex]F(y) = F(y = a)[/tex] and solve for the function F(y = a, where a could be any of the Real's), which hasn't been defined. Does anyone know how to find the (decreasing) rate of charge density from the equation given? Or even the time it takes for a particular charge density to decrease to some fixed amount say 44coulombs/m^2?

Thanks,

JL

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The function is defined. It is an exponential function. rho at t = 0 is a number. More specifically, it is the starting density. This is what normalizes the exponential function. If you plug in t = 0 to the equation, the exponential factor becomes one and you're left with the starting value.

To the find the time it takes to decrease to "x" C/m^2, you set rho equal to x and solve for t.

cepheid said:
The function is defined. It is an exponential function. rho at t = 0 is a number. More specifically, it is the starting density. This is what normalizes the exponential function. If you plug in t = 0 to the equation, the exponential factor becomes one and you're left with the starting value.

To the find the time it takes to decrease to "x" C/m^2, you set rho equal to x and solve for t.

Why isn't the equation written as, [tex]
\rho_{v}(t) = e^{-\frac{t}{t_{r}}}?
[/tex]

And to solve for the time it takes to decrease to "x" C/m^2,
[tex]
x = e^{-\frac{t}{t_{r}}}?
[/tex]

Thanks,

JL

jeff1evesque said:
Why isn't the equation written as, [tex]
\rho_{v}(t) = e^{-\frac{t}{t_{r}}}?
[/tex]

This would be fine if the density was 1 C/m^2 at the start. But if the density is "A" to start, then we must write:

[tex]
\rho_{v}(t) = Ae^{-\frac{t}{t_{r}}}
[/tex]

We need some kind of constant there. Clearly:

[tex]
\rho_{v}(0) = A
[/tex]

And to solve for the time it takes to decrease to "x" C/m^2,the equation would be [tex]
[/tex]
This decrease of charge density is the decrease of the material inserted into another medium? Or the medium (enviroment), that decreases in charge density (I'm guessing the former). What if the material (whatever one chooses) is inserted into some other medium (water, pond, big bowl of cool aid, or whatever) at time t = 0. Would 0 be substituted to the equation above for the variable t?

Thanks again.

Last edited:
jeff1evesque said:
And to solve for the time it takes to decrease to "x" C/m^2,the equation would be [tex]
[/tex]

No. I mean, to find out when rho is equal to x, you'd...set rho equal to x, where rho is defined the way it is in your book and in my last post.

jeff1evesque said:
This decrease of charge density is the decrease of the material inserted into another medium? Or the medium (enviroment), that decreases in charge density (I'm guessing the former). What if the material (whatever one chooses) is inserted into some other medium (water, pond, big bowl of cool aid, or whatever) at time t = 0. Would 0 be substituted to the equation above for the variable t?

Thanks again.

Sorry, not quite getting your question. The charge in the conductor spreads out due to electrical repulsion, and hence it becomes less dense. I don't think this would change if you immersed the conductor in anything else.

So it would be written like,
[tex]
x(t) = Ae^{-\frac{t}{t_{r}}}

[/tex]

And I was wondering what is meant by "The rate at which the charge density would decrease"? Since the equation invovles putting some substance say hot water into a larger medium (cold water). The charge density would mean the hot water decreasing in charge density (not the cold water), correct?

And back to the equation above, if the hot water is inserted into cold water at time t = 0, then 0 would be substituted into the the variable t of the equation:
[tex]
x(t) = Ae^{-\frac{t}{t_{r}}} = A.

[/tex]

Last edited:
jeff1evesque said:
And I was wondering what is meant by "The rate at which the charge density would decrease"?

Interesting point. This may be bad wording on their part. Rho of t is the charge density as a function of time. I would interpret the rate of decrease of the charge density to be the derivative of that function. Oh well. Just words, really.

jeff1evesque said:
Since the equation invovles putting some substance say hot water into a larger medium (cold water).

It does?

jeff1evesque said:
The charge density would mean the hot water decreasing in charge density (not the cold water), correct?

I dunno. I don't really have any context here.

jeff1evesque said:
And back to the equation above, if the hot water is inserted into cold water at time t = 0, then 0 would be substituted into the the variable t of the equation:
[tex]
x(t) = Ae^{-\frac{t}{t_{r}}}

[/tex]

I think we might have a communication problem. I feel like you are asking me, "at t = 0, should I set t equal to zero?" If that's not what you meant, can you clarify?

It sounds like the function is meant to tell you how the density evolves with time starting from the "dumping time", which is taken to be t = 0. So, I guess the answer to your question is, yes.

1. What is charge density?

Charge density refers to the amount of electrical charge present per unit volume in a material or system. It is typically measured in units of coulombs per cubic meter.

2. What is relaxation time?

Relaxation time is a measure of how quickly a system or material returns to its equilibrium state after being perturbed. In the context of charge density, it is the time it takes for the charge density to return to its equilibrium value after being disturbed.

3. How is charge density related to relaxation time?

Charge density and relaxation time are inversely related - as the charge density increases, the relaxation time decreases. This means that materials with a high charge density will return to their equilibrium state more quickly than materials with a low charge density.

4. What factors affect charge density and relaxation time?

The charge density and relaxation time of a material are influenced by a variety of factors, including the composition and structure of the material, temperature, and external electric fields or currents. Additionally, the presence of impurities or defects can also impact these properties.

5. Why are charge density and relaxation time important in materials science?

Charge density and relaxation time are important properties in materials science because they can affect the electrical and optical properties of a material. Understanding and controlling these properties is crucial for the development of new electronic and optoelectronic devices, such as transistors, solar cells, and LEDs.