Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Charge distribution and total charge

1. Nov 19, 2009 #1
    I am having two metal sheets which are curved and fitted on the outer sides of a pipe. A 9V pottential is applied to both the plates.
    Dimensions of the plate = 130mm X 65mm (L X B)
    How can i find the charge distribution on the plates to find the total charge. I need this to calculate the capacitance produced. ( mathematical way)

I have seen that the charge distribution on a surface = dQ/dA and total charge Q = intrgrating this charge distribution over the whole area.

So inorder to find the charge distribution over the whole surface, i need to add twice the charged distribution on a single plate. ( am I correct??)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2009 #2
    Smythe "Static and Dynamic Electricity" 3rd Edition Chapter IV uses the Schwarz transformation to solve cylindrical geometry capacitor problems.

Why do you think you have to multiply the charge by two? All of the charge is on the inside surfaces.
    Bob S

4. Nov 20, 2009 #3
    Hey bob

I looked for schwarz transformation to calculate that in google. but could find anything. Is there any other method.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook