How Is Potential Calculated in a Non-Central Charge Within a Grounded Cube?

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to find the potential in a cube with a charge not located at its center. The person asking the question is unsure of where to start and is considering using methods such as Method of Images, Greens Function, or Poisson Equation. Another person suggests using the method of images to set up a system of charges that will result in a potential of zero for the cube.
cp51

Homework Statement

There's a charge, not at the center of a grounded cube. Find the potential in the cube.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really just looking for a place to start. I should end up with some kind of series, but I don't know if I should be doing some Method of Images, or Greens Function, or Poisson Equation. The only information I can find is for Laplace's Eqn which doesn't apply here, so I'm kinda stuck.

Just trying to get a head start on some homework, so can someone just point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
-CP51

Physics news on Phys.org
The potential of the cube is zero. So try the method of images to set up a system of charges due to which the potential of the cube is zero.See if that works

Related to How Is Potential Calculated in a Non-Central Charge Within a Grounded Cube?

What is a grounded cube?

A grounded cube is a cube-shaped object that has been connected to a conductive material, such as the ground or Earth. This connection allows any excess charge on the cube to be safely dissipated into the surrounding environment.

How does charge behave inside a grounded cube?

Inside a grounded cube, charge will distribute itself evenly across the surface of the cube. This is due to the principle of electrostatic equilibrium, which states that in a conductor, charges will repel each other and move to the outer surface until they are evenly distributed.

Can a grounded cube have a net charge?

No, a grounded cube cannot have a net charge. As mentioned before, charge in a grounded cube will distribute itself evenly across the surface, resulting in a net charge of zero.

What happens if a charged object is brought near a grounded cube?

If a charged object is brought near a grounded cube, the excess charge on the object will induce an opposite charge on the surface of the cube. This is known as electrostatic induction and is a result of the repulsion of like charges.

Why is it important to ground a cube?

Grounding a cube is important because it allows for the safe dissipation of any excess charge that may be present on the object. This prevents potential hazards, such as electrical shocks, and helps maintain electrostatic equilibrium in the surrounding environment.