Which Point Has a 0 Reference Potential in a Circuit with Two Capacitors?

In summary, the conversation discusses a steady state scenario involving two capacitors in separate loops and finding the potential difference across them. It is suggested to compute the voltages from the top to bottom wires and ignore the resistors. The relationship between the charges on the two capacitors is also discussed, with the conclusion that they are equal. Further assistance is requested for finding materials to study similar circuit problems.
Jahnavi

Homework Statement

capacitor1.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

In the steady state , there will be no current through the two branches containing the two capacitors . The capacitors can be replaced by open circuit .

I need to find potential difference across the two capacitors which will give the charges on the two capacitors.

There will be currents in the left and right loop .In steady state , the two loops will be independent of each other .

Since there is no common point in the two loops,which point should be assumed to have 0 reference potential ?

Attachments

• capacitor1.jpg
    capacitor1.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 617
Physics news on Phys.org
Jahnavi said:
which point should be assumed to have 0 reference potential ?
Potentials are always relative to some arbitrarily chosen zero. Pick any point you like, but be consistent.

haruspex said:
Potentials are always relative to some arbitrarily chosen zero. Pick any point you like, but be consistent.

Agreed .

But in the steady state , the two loops will be independent . There will be no common point .

@Jahnavi Suggestion: Since the capacitors are essentially an open circuit in the steady state, try computing the voltages from the top wire to the bottom wire that connects the two capacitors=on the left side and also on the right side. There is one more step you need to do once you compute that part, but try with that part first.

Likes Jahnavi
Jahnavi said:
But in the steady state , the two loops will be independent
The only consequence of the currents is that they change the effective potentials produced by the batteries. As Charles posted, you can figure this out first.
Next, what is the relationship between the charge on the one capacitor and the charge on the other?

Likes Jahnavi and Charles Link
Charles Link said:
Since the capacitors are essentially an open circuit in the steady state, try computing the voltages from the top wire to the bottom wire that connects the two capacitors=on the left side and also on the right side.

Call the top point of 5Ω A , bottom point B .

VA-VB = 15V

Call the top point of 4Ω C , bottom point D.

VD-VC = 10V

Jahnavi said:

VA-VB = 15V

VD-VC = 10V
Good so far.

Jahnavi said:

VA-VB = 15V

VD-VC = 10V
Looks good. :) Now, for this next part you can ignore the ## 5 \Omega ## and ## 4 \Omega ## resistors. Take a look at the part you just computed. Can you make a circuit with it and the two capacitors? And as @haruspex asked in post 5, how is the charge on the two capacitors related?

Likes Jahnavi
haruspex said:
Next, what is the relationship between the charge on the one capacitor and the charge on the other?

Charles Link said:
how is the charge on the two capacitors related?

I don't see why the charges on the two capacitors should be related to each other .

Jahnavi said:
I don't see why the charges on the two capacitors should be related to each other .
Any current that flows in these circuits must flow everywhere in a loop. Is there any way that the top capacitor can get a charge from current flowing into (and out of it) it that doesn't have the same current flowing into (and out of) the bottom capacitor?

Likes Jahnavi
:doh:

Option a) i.e 30μC

Likes Charles Link
Jahnavi said:

Option a) i.e 30μC
Looks right.

Likes Charles Link
Jahnavi said:

Option a) i.e 30μC
Hopefully you concluded that the charges on the capacitors are the same. The next step is to add the voltage drops around the outer loop and set the sum equal to zero. I presume that is what you did?

Can anyone help me find the right materials(online/offline) for studying more about solving these kinds of problems related to circuits

Charles Link said:
The next step is to add the voltage drops around the outer loop and set them equal to zero. I presume that is what you did?

No .

I added the two equations in post#6 , but this gives the same relation :smile:

Likes Charles Link
Likes Charles Link

1. What is the formula for calculating the charge on a capacitor?

The formula for calculating the charge on a capacitor is Q = CV, where Q is the charge in coulombs, C is the capacitance in farads, and V is the voltage in volts.

2. How does the charge on a capacitor affect its capacitance?

The charge on a capacitor is directly proportional to its capacitance. This means that as the charge increases, the capacitance also increases, and vice versa.

3. What is the relationship between the charge on a capacitor and the electric field?

The charge on a capacitor creates an electric field between its plates. The strength of this electric field is directly proportional to the charge on the capacitor.

4. Can the charge on a capacitor be negative?

Yes, the charge on a capacitor can be either positive or negative. The sign of the charge depends on the polarity of the voltage applied to the capacitor.

5. How does the charge on a capacitor change over time?

The charge on a capacitor can change over time due to the flow of electrons into or out of the capacitor. This process is known as charging and discharging, and it follows a specific pattern based on the capacitance and voltage of the capacitor.