Charged particle accelerates in an electric field?

In summary, the positively charged particle has a magnitude of 200m/s and a charge-to-mass ratio of 0.100 C/kg. The electric field in this region is constant and uniform. By incorporating Coulomb's law and considering the effect of gravity, the electric field is found to be 867.33 N/C in the upward direction.
MaryCate22

Homework Statement

A positively charged particle initially at rest on the ground accelerates upward to 200m/s in 2.60s. The particle has a charge-to-mass ratio of 0.100 C/kg and the electric field in this region is constant and uniform.
What are the magnitude and direction of the electric field?

Homework Equations

F=ma
a=delta v/ delta t
Electric Fields E=F/q
Coulomb's Law F=kq/r^2 Not sure I need this one.

The Attempt at a Solution

E=F/q=ma/q=(m/q)a
E=(10 kg/C)(200/2.6 m/s^2) = 769.23 N/C = 7.7*10^2 N/C Direction upward.

Question seems pretty straightforward but it's telling me this answer is incorrect. If I have to incorporate Coulomb's law, I'm not sure how.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Gravity ;)

Arcone said:
Hint: Gravity ;)

Thank you! Knew I was missing something obvious. Let me see if it works if I factor in gravity.

ma = Fe - Fg
ma = Eq - mg
a = E(q/m)-g

E = (a + g)/(q/m) = (76.923 + 9.81 m/s^2)/(0.100 C/kg) = 867.33 N/C = 8.7*10^2 N/C

This look right?

Yes, that's how i would solve it.

Related to Charged particle accelerates in an electric field?

1. How does an electric field accelerate charged particles?

When a charged particle enters an electric field, it experiences a force due to the electric field. This force causes the particle to accelerate in the direction of the electric field. The stronger the electric field, the greater the acceleration of the particle.

2. What factors affect the acceleration of a charged particle in an electric field?

The acceleration of a charged particle in an electric field is affected by the strength of the electric field, the charge of the particle, and the mass of the particle. A stronger electric field will result in a greater acceleration, while a larger charge or smaller mass of the particle will also cause a greater acceleration.

3. Can a charged particle accelerate in an electric field if it is not moving initially?

Yes, a charged particle can still accelerate in an electric field even if it is not initially moving. This is because the electric field exerts a force on the particle, causing it to accelerate regardless of its initial velocity.

4. How does the direction of the electric field affect the acceleration of a charged particle?

The direction of the electric field determines the direction of the force exerted on the charged particle. If the electric field is in the same direction as the particle's initial velocity, the particle will accelerate in the direction of the electric field. If the electric field is in the opposite direction of the particle's initial velocity, the particle will decelerate.

5. What is the difference between a positively charged particle and a negatively charged particle in an electric field?

In an electric field, a positively charged particle will accelerate in the direction of the electric field, while a negatively charged particle will accelerate in the opposite direction. This is due to the fact that the direction of the force exerted by the electric field is dependent on the charge of the particle.