Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Charging an electrochemical capacitor

1. Jul 28, 2011 #1
    I have a very basic question confusing me about charging electrochemical capacitors -

When you charge a symmetrical electrochemical capacitor to 1V, because one electrode becomes positively charged and the other negatively charged, the electrode potential across one will be +0.5V, and the electrode potential across the other will be -0.5V?

So if you were to measure the CV across each electrode they would both start at 0V, and travel in opposite directions to + and - 0.5V?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2011 #2
    You mention a 0v point. Do you have an explanation at which point in the capacitor exactly where this is?

4. Jul 29, 2011 #3
    Im not really sure about that either. When testing a cell for example by constant current charge discharge, you apply the current, and the voltage will increases to your set limit from 0V then, goes back on discharge.

I suppose 0V would be when the system is at equilibrium, where no current flows after you discharge the device?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook