1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chase problems!

1. May 26, 2008 #1
    omg i have so much trouble doing these problems... can anyone help? and show process in which you took? thank you so much!

a man starts 10m ahead of a finish line and races at a velocity of 10m/s. A women rides a bike from 0m (starting line) and accelerates 4m/s(square). when and where do they meet?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi napoodo! Welcome to PF! :smile:
    Isn't that typical of a man … starting at the finish line! :wink:

I assume you mean that they started at the same time?

Just write an equation in x and t for each of them:

x = something t

x = something else t​

Then they meet when their x is the same, so you just write something t = something else t, which is an equation only in t, which you can solve! :smile:

(if you're still having difficulty, show us what you've done so far, so that we know how to help)
  4. May 26, 2008 #3
    ok well i tried, and this is what i got. [Of woman]==> at=x=d/t <===[Of man] aka a=v/t and v = d/t and i put v is the same...

4t = 10/t
    4t(square) = 10/4
    (square root) t (square) = (squareroot) 6
    t = 2.5s?
    would that time be right?
    or do you need the same equation to make it equal each other O_O because one side uses velocity, and time, and the other side uses acceleration and time

shouldn't d(distance) be the same? = both
    Last edited: May 26, 2008
  5. May 26, 2008 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi napoodo! :smile:

I'm sorry, I don't understand any of that. :confused:

You really do need to write out equations beginning with "x ="

What is the equation for the man? :smile:

(going to be now :zzz:)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?