Solving for When and Where Two Movements Meet

• Thread starter napoodo
  • Start date
In summary, a man starts 10m ahead of a finish line and races at a velocity of 10m/s, while a woman starts at the 0m line and accelerates at 4m/s². To determine when and where they meet, equations can be written for each person's position as a function of time. By setting these equations equal to each other, the time and position of their meeting can be solved.
napoodo
omg i have so much trouble doing these problems... can anyone help? and show process in which you took? thank you so much!

a man starts 10m ahead of a finish line and races at a velocity of 10m/s. A women rides a bike from 0m (starting line) and accelerates 4m/s(square). when and where do they meet?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi napoodo! Welcome to PF! :smile:
napoodo said:
a man starts 10m ahead of a finish line and races at a velocity of 10m/s. A women rides a bike from 0m (starting line) and accelerates 4m/s(square). when and where do they meet?

Isn't that typical of a man … starting at the finish line! :wink:

I assume you mean that they started at the same time?

Just write an equation in x and t for each of them:

x = something t

x = something else t​

Then they meet when their x is the same, so you just write something t = something else t, which is an equation only in t, which you can solve! :smile:

(if you're still having difficulty, show us what you've done so far, so that we know how to help)

ok well i tried, and this is what i got. [Of woman]==> at=x=d/t <===[Of man] aka a=v/t and v = d/t and i put v is the same...

4t = 10/t
4t(square) = 10/4
(square root) t (square) = (squareroot) 6
t = 2.5s?
would that time be right?
or do you need the same equation to make it equal each other O_O because one side uses velocity, and time, and the other side uses acceleration and time

shouldn't d(distance) be the same? = both

Last edited:
napoodo said:
4t = 10/t
4t(square) = 10/4
(square root) t (square) = (squareroot) 6
t = 2.5s?

Hi napoodo! :smile:

I'm sorry, I don't understand any of that. :confused:

You really do need to write out equations beginning with "x ="

What is the equation for the man? :smile:

(going to be now :zzz:)

Related to Solving for When and Where Two Movements Meet

1. What is "Solving for When and Where Two Movements Meet"?

"Solving for When and Where Two Movements Meet" is a mathematical concept that involves finding the time and location at which two moving objects intersect or come into contact with each other.

2. How is "Solving for When and Where Two Movements Meet" useful?

This concept is useful in various fields such as physics, engineering, and navigation, as it allows us to accurately predict the meeting point of two moving objects and plan accordingly.

3. What are the key factors to consider when solving for when and where two movements meet?

The key factors to consider are the initial positions and velocities of the two objects, as well as the acceleration and direction of each object.

4. What are the different methods for solving "When and Where Two Movements Meet" problems?

There are several methods for solving these types of problems, including using algebraic equations, using graphs and visual representations, and using vector analysis.

5. Can "Solving for When and Where Two Movements Meet" be applied to real-life situations?

Absolutely! This concept is commonly used in various real-life situations, such as predicting the intersection of two cars on the road, determining the meeting point of two airplanes in the sky, or calculating the location of a satellite in orbit.