Calculating Potential Difference for Capacitor Heating of Water

In summary, potential difference, also known as voltage, is the difference in electric potential between two points in an electric circuit, measured in volts (V). It can be measured using a voltmeter and the unit of potential difference is the Volt (V). Potential difference is important in electricity as it is the driving force for electric current and affects its flow - a higher potential difference leads to a greater flow of current while a lower potential difference results in a lower flow of current.
xswtxoj

Homework Statement

A 4.63mF capacitor has stored energy to heat 3.00kf of water from 22 degrees C to 94.5 degrees C. What the potential difference?

Homework Equations

Q= mC delta T
W= Q sq/2C
V=W/C

The Attempt at a Solution

Q= mC delta T
Q= 3kg* 4.184* ( 94.5-22) = 910.02 J
then 910.02 sq/ 2* 4.63X -6= 8.94E 10
8.94e10 / 910.02= 9.82e7

is that right my teacher said it wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
if PE is 91.02 and the equation is W= 1/2 *C*V sq
then 910/2 * 4.63x10-6= then sq root then to 9913.33

xswtxoj said:
if PE is 91.02 and the equation is W= 1/2 *C*V sq
then 910/2 * 4.63x10-6= then sq root then to 9913.33

Check your algebra again.

Oh, btw I'd read that as mF as in milliFarads unless your problem said μf and you wrote mf here.

i did it and got 2.10E -3 V and its its in μf

xswtxoj said:
i did it and got 2.10E -3 V and its its in μf

I still get something different:

910 J = 1/2*(4.63*10-6)*V2

V2 = 2*910/(4.63*10-6)

v= 19826.67 is that the potential difference?

xswtxoj said:
v= 19826.67 is that the potential difference?

If that's what it calculates out to.

1. What is potential difference?

Potential difference, also known as voltage, is the difference in electric potential between two points in an electric circuit. It is measured in volts (V) and represents the amount of energy needed to move a unit charge from one point to another.

2. How is potential difference measured?

Potential difference can be measured using a voltmeter, which is connected in parallel to the component or circuit being measured. The voltmeter measures the voltage drop across the component or circuit, giving the potential difference.

3. What is the unit of potential difference?

The unit of potential difference is the Volt (V), named after the Italian physicist Alessandro Volta who invented the first battery. It can also be expressed in other units such as joules per coulomb (J/C) or electron volts (eV).

4. Why is potential difference important in electricity?

Potential difference is important in electricity because it is the driving force that pushes charges through an electric circuit. It is necessary for the flow of electric current and is used to power electronic devices and appliances.

5. How does potential difference affect the flow of electric current?

The higher the potential difference, the greater the force pushing the charges through the circuit, resulting in a larger flow of electric current. Conversely, a lower potential difference will result in a lower flow of electric current.