Checking Boolean Algebra Solutions

In summary, boolean algebra is a mathematical system that uses 0 and 1 to represent true and false and follows specific rules and operations to manipulate and evaluate logical statements. It is important to check boolean algebra solutions to ensure accuracy and identify errors. Common errors to look out for include incorrect use of logical operators, missing or extra parentheses, and incorrect application of De Morgan's laws. To check solutions, truth tables and algebraic manipulation can be used, and there are also online tools and software programs available. Understanding the rules and properties of boolean algebra can also aid in manual checking.
dagg3r
hey all, got stuck on some boolean algebra just wondering if you all can check my working out thanks :)
basically the ` represent bar's and in the example no. 1 the p is barred, r is barred,and the overall function is barred hope you get the gist of things thanks

1. [(p` + qr)(pq+r`)]`

my working out is, using de morgan's rule
= [(p` + qr)]` + [(pq + r`)]
= p``*(qr)` + r``*(pq)`
=p*(qr)` + r*(pq)` \\ De morgan's rule again
= P( q` + r` ) + r(P` + q`) \\ expanded out
= pq` + r`p + rp` + q`r
\\ i use the rule that r`p + rp` = `
thus = q`(R + p)

is that right hopefully i did it correctly :)

2. (z + (x*y`)) + yx + (x*(y` + z))
thats the function my working out is i expanded it out.
thus
= (z +xy`) + yx + xy` + zx
\\ then i left it as it is as use many of the boolean rules and got
xy` +Z + YX
X(Y` + y)+ z
=X + z
\\i used the karnaugh maps and got x + z to be the simpliest function as well but was wondering ifanyone can check this out for me thanks.

3. [x` + (y`*z`)][yz` + x`][y`+z`]
= [x` + z`y`][x` + yz`][y` + z`]
\\then i used the rule that P(P+Q)=P so that means taking x` as a common factor takinga look at the first 2 functions out ofthe 3
= x`(yz` + x`)
=x` \\ now we have (y` + z`) left as a function thus
= x`(y`+z`)
\\ using de morgan's rule
=(x+yz)`

is that the simpliestform and how would i draw this as a simplified switchinig circuit because i believe the whole function barred you can't draw it?

thats all hope this isn't a load of gibberish :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, your working out is correct. For the third equation, you have simplified it correctly and it is in the simplest form. As for drawing a simplified switching circuit, you can draw a circuit with two inputs and one output as shown below:

Input1 --| |---- Output
Input2 --|--|

Hi there, it looks like you have a good understanding of Boolean algebra and have correctly applied the rules to simplify the given functions. However, in order to fully check your solutions, it would be helpful to see the original function and the steps you took to simplify it. This would allow for a more thorough evaluation and any potential mistakes could be identified. As for drawing the simplified switching circuit, it would depend on the specific function and the components available. It would be best to consult a circuit designer or use a software tool to create the circuit. Keep up the good work!

Related to Checking Boolean Algebra Solutions

1. What is boolean algebra?

Boolean algebra is a mathematical system that deals with logic and set operations. It uses the values of 0 and 1 to represent true and false, and follows a set of rules and operations to manipulate and evaluate logical statements.

2. Why is it important to check boolean algebra solutions?

Checking boolean algebra solutions is important to ensure that the logical statements are correctly evaluated and that the desired outcome is achieved. It also helps to identify any errors or mistakes in the logical operations.

3. What are the common errors to look out for when checking boolean algebra solutions?

Some common errors in boolean algebra include incorrect use of logical operators, missing or extra parentheses, and incorrect application of De Morgan's laws. It is also important to check for any contradictions or tautologies in the logical statements.

4. How do you check boolean algebra solutions?

To check boolean algebra solutions, you can use truth tables to systematically evaluate the logical statements and compare the results with the desired outcome. You can also use algebraic manipulation to simplify the expressions and verify their equivalence.

5. Are there any tools or techniques to aid in checking boolean algebra solutions?

Yes, there are many online tools and software programs that can help in checking boolean algebra solutions. These tools can generate truth tables, perform algebraic simplifications, and even provide step-by-step solutions. It is also helpful to practice and understand the rules and properties of boolean algebra to aid in manual checking.