Chemical Engineering Mass Balance with matrix

In summary, to determine the composition of the recycle stream in this reaction, you can use the equation R = (m4 + m5 - 0.5m1) / x.
gloryofgreece

Homework Statement

Ethane reacts with chlorine to make ethyl chloride and hydrogen chloride, and ethylene reacts with hydrogen chloride to form ethyl chloride.

C2h6+ Cl2 > C2H5Cl + HCL
C2H4 + HCl > C2H5Cl

I post an image of flow chart and rest of description

Based on my reading, all of unreacted ethane is removed along with ethyl chloride...

Homework Equations

C2h6+ Cl2 > C2H5Cl + HCL
C2H4 + HCl > C2H5Cl

The Attempt at a Solution

I want to solve it in a matrix form, then do it in matlab. However I can not formulate my matrix...
I can see ethane being limiting reagent

m1 = feed stream contain ethane and ethylene
R = recycle stream
m3 = feed stream of Cl2
m4 = ethyl chloride formed from 1st reaction (ethane + cl2)
m5 = ethyl chloride formed from 2nd rxn (C2H4 + HCl > C2H5Cl)

This is my attempt; I understand I will have to simplied it to matrix form first.

for ethane
0.5 m1 - 0.95 (.5 m1) - m4 = 0

for ethylene
x = molar ration of ethylene

0.5 m1 + xR - 0.5 (0.5m1 + xR) -m5 =0

Am I on the right track?

My question is

How do i determine the composition of R?

Attachments

• hw3.JPG
    hw3.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 794
  • hw3.2.JPG
    hw3.2.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 743
Physics news on Phys.org

To determine the composition of R, you can use the following equation:

R = (m4 + m5 - 0.5m1) / x

Where:
- R is the composition of the recycle stream
- m4 is the amount of ethyl chloride formed from the first reaction
- m5 is the amount of ethyl chloride formed from the second reaction
- 0.5m1 is the amount of ethane in the feed stream
- x is the molar ratio of ethylene in the feed stream

This equation takes into account the amount of ethyl chloride that is formed in both reactions and subtracts the amount of ethane that is removed. The remaining value is then divided by the molar ratio of ethylene to determine the composition of the recycle stream.

Your attempt at solving the problem using matrix form seems to be on the right track. However, there are a few things to consider when determining the composition of R:

1. The composition of R will depend on the extent of the reactions. In other words, how much of the reactants are converted into products. This information is not provided in the given equations, so you will have to make some assumptions or use experimental data to determine the extent of the reactions.

2. The composition of R will also depend on the stoichiometry of the reactions. In this case, we can see that for every 1 mole of ethane reacted, 1 mole of ethyl chloride is produced. Therefore, the composition of R will also be 1 mole of ethane for every mole of ethyl chloride.

3. You will also need to consider the conservation of mass in your mass balance equations. This means that the total number of moles of each component in the feed stream (m1) must equal the total number of moles in the product streams (m4 and m5) plus the recycle stream (R).

With these considerations in mind, you can set up your matrix equations as follows:

For ethane:
0.5 m1 - 0.95 (0.5 m1) - m4 = 0
R = m4 (since 1 mole of ethane produces 1 mole of ethyl chloride)

For ethylene:
m1/2 + xR - 0.5 (0.5m1 + xR) - m5 = 0
R = m5 (since 1 mole of ethylene produces 1 mole of ethyl chloride)

To solve for the composition of R, you will need to solve these equations simultaneously using matrix operations in Matlab. I recommend consulting with your instructor or a tutor for further guidance on how to set up and solve these equations in Matlab.

1. What is a mass balance in chemical engineering?

A mass balance in chemical engineering is a calculation that tracks the flow of mass into and out of a system, and accounts for any changes in the amount of mass within the system. It is an important tool for understanding and optimizing chemical processes.

2. How is a mass balance calculated?

A mass balance is typically calculated using a set of equations that represent the inputs, outputs, and changes in mass for each component within the system. These equations can be represented as a matrix, with each row representing a different component and each column representing a different process or flow.

3. What is the purpose of using a matrix in mass balance calculations?

A matrix allows for a more efficient and organized way of representing the mass balance equations. It also makes it easier to solve for unknown mass flows and to analyze the overall mass balance of the system.

4. What are some common sources of error in mass balance calculations?

Some common sources of error in mass balance calculations include inaccurate measurements, incomplete data, and assumptions made in the equations. It is important to carefully consider all inputs and sources of uncertainty to ensure an accurate mass balance.

5. How is mass balance used in chemical engineering processes?

Mass balance is an essential tool for designing, optimizing, and troubleshooting chemical processes. It allows engineers to understand the flow of mass within a system and make adjustments to improve efficiency and reduce waste. Mass balance calculations are also used to ensure compliance with environmental regulations.