1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chemical equilibrium: Enthalpies and equilibrium contsants

1. Feb 21, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For the system 2 CO2 = 2 CO + O2, ∆H= 510 kJ
    the percentage decomposition of CO2 changes w/ temperature as follows.
    Temp, K.....% Decomposition
    Calculate the equilibrium constants, plot lnK vs. 1/T. In the graph, find the slope and confirm ∆H. Also, using average bond enthalpies, calculate ∆H(it should come out the same for both approaches).

2. Relevant equations
    1.) Slope = ∆H / R
    2.) R(constant) = 8.314 J/k-mol
    3.) ∆Hrxn = Sum of bond enthalpies of broken bonds - Sum of bond enthalpies of formed bonds

3. The attempt at a solution
    I started by calculating K at each temperature. We also did this part in class so I know all the K's are correct.
    K at 1500=5.5 x 10-9
    K at 2500=4.01 x 10-1
    K at 3000=4.03 x 10

I plugged all these #s into the calculator to figure out lnK and 1/T. I plotted them on a graph and got a straight line with a negative slope. This threw me because lnK vs. 1/T should not be straight because this isn't a first order reaction. The slope was something like -40,000, which would then be multiplied by the constant R and ∆H came out to be -330,000(wrong).

Then I tried the 2nd approach. Using equation #3 above, I got ∆H= (4x799)-((2x1072)+495). I'm well aware of how to draw Lewis structures, and am positive I got all the bond enthalpies right and ∆H came out to be 557kJ, which is much closer to the 510kJ given in the problem description.

Where I am stuck is getting ∆H through the graph. Supposedly ∆H=Slope x R(constant)... but with such a small different in 1/T's or the ∆x value or the denominator in the rise/run slope formula, the slope always comes out enormous. How am I supposed to get ∆H for the first method? I looked over the numbers many times and they all seem correct.

Any help please?
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?