Question on chemical equilibrium

In summary, the equation states that when two different ions are combined, there is an increase in the number of particles and hence an increase in dissorderness.
Titan97
Gold Member

Homework Statement

The formation of cadmium complexes with Br- exhibits successive equilibrium constants such that log(k1)=1.56, log(k2)=0.54, log(k3)=0.05, log(k4)=0.37.
Explain why k4 is greater than k3

Homework Equations

$$K=e^{\frac{-\Delta H}{RT}}\cdot e^{\frac{\Delta S}{R}}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

After reading chemical equilibrium from peter Atkins's chemical principles, I learned that larger values of K means the reactions is exothermic. (This can be said using the above equation).
Larger value of K, could also mean that ##\Delta G## is strongly negative causing more products at equilibrium.
This explains why some equilibrium constants are large. But this does not explain why K3<K4.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would try to analyze symmetry and electronic configuration of complexes involved to see if there are no indications to which one is more stable.

But no information about the structure of complex is given. (I think its tetrahedral)

This is even more complicated, as cadmium ion is first complexed by water molecules, they are then replaced by Br-.

In what context was this question asked? I mean - what is the thing you are learning now?

Likes Titan97
I am learning chemical equilibrium. But I know the basics about crystal field theory and coordinate compounds. So the reaction is about Br- replacing OH- in the complex. Its OK. I would like to learn about this. (I will post the solution given in the solution manual, I don't have it right now).

I got the solution manual @Borek , this is the equation given
$$[CdBr_3(OH)_2]+Br^-\to [CdBr_4]^{2-}+3H_2O$$
According to the author, "there is an increase in the number of particles and hence an increase in dissorderness. This is because of formation of a less restricted coordination sphere."
Am I supposed to learn the equation or is there a general rule to be followed?

1. What is chemical equilibrium?

Chemical equilibrium is a state in a chemical reaction where the concentrations of reactants and products remain constant over time. This means that the rate of the forward reaction is equal to the rate of the backward reaction, resulting in no net change in the concentrations of the reactants and products.

2. How is equilibrium reached in a chemical reaction?

Equilibrium is reached when the rate of the forward reaction is equal to the rate of the backward reaction. This can occur when the reactants are completely consumed, or when the concentrations of the reactants and products reach a steady state where their concentrations do not change over time.

3. What factors can affect chemical equilibrium?

The factors that can affect chemical equilibrium include temperature, pressure, and concentration of reactants and products. Changes in these factors can shift the equilibrium in either the forward or backward direction, leading to changes in the concentrations of the reactants and products.

4. How can you predict the direction of a chemical reaction at equilibrium?

The direction of a chemical reaction at equilibrium can be predicted using Le Chatelier's principle. This principle states that if a stress is applied to a system at equilibrium, the system will shift in the direction that reduces the stress. For example, an increase in temperature will cause the equilibrium to shift in the endothermic direction, while a decrease in temperature will shift the equilibrium in the exothermic direction.

5. How can chemical equilibrium be disturbed?

Chemical equilibrium can be disturbed by changing the concentration of reactants or products, altering the temperature or pressure, or adding a catalyst. These changes can shift the equilibrium in one direction, resulting in changes in the concentrations of the reactants and products. However, equilibrium will eventually be re-established as the system adjusts to the new conditions.