1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on chemical equilibrium

1. Aug 28, 2015 #1

Titan97

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The formation of cadmium complexes with Br- exhibits successive equilibrium constants such that log(k1)=1.56, log(k2)=0.54, log(k3)=0.05, log(k4)=0.37.
    Explain why k4 is greater than k3

2. Relevant equations
    $$K=e^{\frac{-\Delta H}{RT}}\cdot e^{\frac{\Delta S}{R}}$$

3. The attempt at a solution
    After reading chemical equilibrium from peter Atkins's chemical principles, I learned that larger values of K means the reactions is exothermic. (This can be said using the above equation).
    Larger value of K, could also mean that ##\Delta G## is strongly negative causing more products at equilibrium.
    This explains why some equilibrium constants are large. But this does not explain why K3<K4.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2015 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

I would try to analyze symmetry and electronic configuration of complexes involved to see if there are no indications to which one is more stable.

4. Aug 28, 2015 #3

Titan97

Gold Member

But no information about the structure of complex is given. (I think its tetrahedral)

5. Aug 28, 2015 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

This is even more complicated, as cadmium ion is first complexed by water molecules, they are then replaced by Br-.

In what context was this question asked? I mean - what is the thing you are learning now?

6. Aug 28, 2015 #5

Titan97

Gold Member

I am learning chemical equilibrium. But I know the basics about crystal field theory and coordinate compounds. So the reaction is about Br- replacing OH- in the complex. Its OK. I would like to learn about this. (I will post the solution given in the solution manual, I don't have it right now).

7. Aug 29, 2015 #6

Titan97

Gold Member

I got the solution manual @Borek , this is the equation given
    $$[CdBr_3(OH)_2]+Br^-\to [CdBr_4]^{2-}+3H_2O$$
    According to the author, "there is an increase in the number of particles and hence an increase in dissorderness. This is because of formation of a less restricted coordination sphere."
    Am I supposed to learn the equation or is there a general rule to be followed?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted