Chemical reaction: Cu(s)+2H+(aq)--> Cu2+ (aq) + H2 (g)

In summary, the conversation is discussing a chemical reaction involving Copper and Hydrogen. There is confusion about whether this reaction exists and if it is a displacement reaction or an oxidation-reduction reaction. The participants also discuss the concept of oxidizing power and the reactivity series. Ultimately, it is determined that the correct reaction is Cu2+ + H2 -> Cu + 2H+, which is a displacement reaction.
primarygun
Chemical reaction: Cu(s)+2H+(aq)----> Cu2+ (aq) + H2 (g)

Cu(s)+2H+(aq)----> Cu2+ (aq) + H2 (g)
Do we have this reaction?
If yes, is it a displacement reaction?
If no, is something about the oxiding power of particles?
Could you explain it to me ?
Best regards

Physics news on Phys.org
I see no reaction here at all! You start with separate Copper and Hydrogen and you end with separate Copper and Hydrogen. Are you counting 2Cu--> Cu2 and 2H--> H2 as "reactions"?

It's an ionic equation! Actually, it is supposed to like this:

2Cu (s) + 2H+ (aq) = Cu2+ (aq) + H2 (g)

I can't exactly recall where I've seen this.

Last edited:
Does this reaction exist?

Isn't copper being oxidized?

Is this not an oxidation-reduction reaction?

Am I really that bad at chemistry?

:rofl:

In my mind, I'm quite sure it is not a displacement reaction.
Hydrogen is above copper in the reactivity series.
I haven't learned any oxid redox reaction so far, so I want to consult about the concept of it.
Less reactive still can reduce more reactive metal in redox reaction?

I don't think this reaction is possible.

Copper metal will not oxidize when put in H+ ions, it will reduce because it is a stronger oxidizing agent.

The two half-cells:

Cu2+ + 2e- -> Cu
H2 -> 2H+ + 2e-

And together:

Cu2+ + H2 -> Cu + 2H+

This reaction WILL occur, the one you gave WILL NOT.

Take my info with a grain of salt though. I do Physics/Astronomy, not Chemistry. But I do have a background in chem, so I'm not clueless.

Cu2+ + H2 -> Cu + 2H+
Ya! This is a displacement reaction!

primarygun said:
Ya! This is a displacement reaction!

I've never heard it referred to as that, but if that's what your teacher calls it, ok.

1. What is the chemical equation for the reaction between copper and hydrochloric acid?

The chemical equation for this reaction is Cu(s) + 2H+(aq) --> Cu2+(aq) + H2(g). This is a single displacement reaction, where the copper metal (Cu) is oxidized and the hydrogen ions (H+) are reduced.

2. What type of reaction is this?

This is a single displacement reaction, also known as a redox reaction. This means that there is a transfer of electrons between the reactants, resulting in a change in their oxidation states.

3. How would the reaction change if we used sulfuric acid instead of hydrochloric acid?

The overall equation would remain the same, but the products would be different. Instead of forming copper chloride (CuCl2), sulfuric acid (H2SO4) would form copper sulfate (CuSO4) and water (H2O).

4. What is the role of the hydrogen ions in this reaction?

The hydrogen ions (H+) act as the oxidizing agent in this reaction. They accept electrons from the copper metal, causing it to be oxidized and form copper ions (Cu2+).

5. What is the purpose of balancing chemical equations?

Balancing chemical equations ensures that the number of atoms of each element is equal on both sides of the equation. This is important because it follows the law of conservation of mass, which states that matter cannot be created or destroyed in a chemical reaction.