Chemistry behind airbag deployment. How to demonstrate?

• Thread starter demode
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary, Tom suggests trying out liquid nitrogen, and better taking NaN3 with hands than liquid nitrogen.
demode
Hey there everyone!

For my chemistry class, I had to write a feature article about the chemistry behind airbags (pretty fascinating stuff), and now my teacher has dropped the bomb that we must do a presentation that explains what we studied..

I was hoping to do a small (and i mean small) scale demonstration of how airbags work, but I haven't been able to find anything on the internet! If any of you have tried to do a presentation on airbags or might know of any way I can make a good presentation about them, could you please help?

Thanks,

Tom.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
You could just do something simple, like taking two eggs, and a plastic bag (and some kind of tupaware container). Blow the plastic bag up, but not so much that it becomes incompressable - you'll have to experiment to see what pressure you need... drop one egg from a height and watch it splatter into the container... drop the second egg onto the airbag, and see that it survives the fall. Both eggs were dropped from the same height and come to rest at approximately the same height, but the difference is that while the hard container brought the first egg to rest over a very small period of time.. the second egg comes to rest much slower (and therefore experience a smaller force upon impact). This is pretty simple and I think captures the general feature of what you want to demonstrate. You can then just show some simple maths working out the average force experienced in these two cases.

By the way, I saw your initial post, about the talk being 8 minutes long. Don't worry about this, 8 minutes is not long atall - probably by the end of the talk you'll wish you had more time.

By the way, when you say "chemistry" of airbags.. you mean the physics of airbags right? In terms of chemistry.. I have no idea... the example I showed you is more to do with physics than chemistry.

oops: I guess it was someone else asking about airbags yesterday.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the quick reply jpr0, but yeah I was looking more so at the chemical reactions that actually drive airbags to deploy and whatnot.. Thanks anyways though!

Ah I see..
See this post then:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=208282&highlight=airbags

The last suggestion by the scary looking monkey man seems quite good.

demode said:
Hey there everyone!

For my chemistry class, I had to write a feature article about the chemistry behind airbags (pretty fascinating stuff), and now my teacher has dropped the bomb that we must do a presentation that explains what we studied..

I was hoping to do a small (and i mean small) scale demonstration of how airbags work, but I haven't been able to find anything on the internet! If any of you have tried to do a presentation on airbags or might know of any way I can make a good presentation about them, could you please help?

Thanks,

Tom.

I doubt you would be able to get your hands on some sodium azide. It is highly toxic, but that is what they use in airbags to deploy them.

The only thing I could think of is if somehow you got your hands on liquid nitrogen. You could fill a balloon with nitrogen, attach it to a test tube and then stick the test tube in the liquid nitrogen. After the balloon deflates you could take the test tube out of the liquid nitrogen and watch the balloon rapidly inflate as the liquid N2 in the test tube heats up into the gas phase.

Thank you very much for the quick replies! They were very helpful

gravenewworld said:
I doubt you would be able to get your hands on some sodium azide. It is highly toxic, but that is what they use in airbags to deploy them.

The only thing I could think of is if somehow you got your hands on liquid nitrogen. You could fill a balloon with nitrogen, attach it to a test tube and then stick the test tube in the liquid nitrogen. After the balloon deflates you could take the test tube out of the liquid nitrogen and watch the balloon rapidly inflate as the liquid N2 in the test tube heats up into the gas phase.

Better to take NaN3 with hands than liquid nitrogen...

1. What is the chemical reaction that occurs to deploy an airbag?

The chemical reaction that occurs to deploy an airbag is a controlled explosion of sodium azide (NaN3) which produces nitrogen gas (N2) as a byproduct. This reaction is initiated by an electric current from the airbag's sensor.

2. How does the airbag sensor detect a collision?

The airbag sensor detects a collision through a series of accelerometers and gyroscopes that measure the sudden change in speed and direction of the vehicle. This information triggers the deployment of the airbag.

3. What role does the inflator play in airbag deployment?

The inflator is a crucial component in airbag deployment as it contains the sodium azide and initiates the chemical reaction that produces the nitrogen gas. It also regulates the amount of gas released to ensure the airbag is inflated to the appropriate size.

4. Can the airbag deployment be controlled?

Yes, the airbag deployment can be controlled through the use of sensors and algorithms that determine the severity of the collision and whether or not it is necessary to deploy the airbag. This helps prevent unnecessary deployments and potential injuries.

5. How can the chemistry behind airbag deployment be demonstrated?

The chemistry behind airbag deployment can be demonstrated by mixing a small amount of sodium azide with water and adding a small electric current to initiate the reaction. This will produce a burst of nitrogen gas, similar to how an airbag is deployed in a vehicle collision.