1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chemistry Energy Calculations

1. Nov 28, 2004 #1
    Hi,

I having troubles with the following problems.

1) Calculate the energy change which will occur when 30g of nitrogen(II) oxide is converted to nitrogen(IV) oxide by reacting with oxygen in the air.

2)Copper(II) oxide can be reduced to copper metal and water by using hot hydrogen gas. Calculate the energy change when 54g of water is formed by this process.

I think my problem with these problems are I dont fully understand the concepts. If you could explain to me which formula I would use and why, I would really appriciate it.

Thanks so much

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2004 #2
    Hello

Do you know how to do mass and energy balances? ...or even Hess's law?
    Find a basic chemical engineering book and revise the chapter on enery balances.....its easier then someone doing it for you ;)

If you cant find one or still have problems....do another post and i will help with the answers..

good luck

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?