Chemistry Energy Calculations

In summary, the conversation discusses two problems involving energy changes in chemical reactions. The first problem involves the conversion of nitrogen(II) oxide to nitrogen(IV) oxide, while the second problem involves the reduction of copper(II) oxide to copper metal and water. The person asking for help admits to not fully understanding the concepts and asks for clarification on which formula to use and why. They are advised to review energy balances and Hess's law in a basic chemical engineering book. If they still have issues, they are welcome to ask for more help.
vg19
Hi,

I having troubles with the following problems.

1) Calculate the energy change which will occur when 30g of nitrogen(II) oxide is converted to nitrogen(IV) oxide by reacting with oxygen in the air.

2)Copper(II) oxide can be reduced to copper metal and water by using hot hydrogen gas. Calculate the energy change when 54g of water is formed by this process.

I think my problem with these problems are I don't fully understand the concepts. If you could explain to me which formula I would use and why, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks so much

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello

Do you know how to do mass and energy balances? ...or even Hess's law?
Find a basic chemical engineering book and revise the chapter on energy balances...its easier then someone doing it for you ;)

If you can't find one or still have problems...do another post and i will help with the answers..

good luck

Hi there,

I'm happy to help with your chemistry energy calculation problems. Let's take a look at each one and break down the steps to solve them.

1) To calculate the energy change for this reaction, we need to use the equation: ∆H = ∑∆H(products) - ∑∆H(reactants). This means that we need to calculate the sum of the enthalpies of the products and subtract the sum of the enthalpies of the reactants. First, we need to balance the chemical equation:

2NO + O2 → 2NO2

Next, we need to determine the enthalpy values for each substance. The enthalpy of formation for nitrogen(II) oxide is 90.25 kJ/mol and for nitrogen(IV) oxide is 33.2 kJ/mol. Since we have 30g of nitrogen(II) oxide, we need to convert it to moles by dividing by its molar mass (46g/mol). This gives us 0.65 moles of nitrogen(II) oxide. Similarly, we have 0.65 moles of nitrogen(IV) oxide. Therefore, the energy change for this reaction is:

∆H = (2 x 0.65 x 33.2) - (2 x 0.65 x 90.25) = -99.45 kJ

The negative sign indicates that this reaction is exothermic, meaning that energy is released.

2) For this problem, we need to use the same equation: ∆H = ∑∆H(products) - ∑∆H(reactants). The balanced chemical equation is:

CuO + H2 → Cu + H2O

The enthalpy of formation for copper(II) oxide is -156.6 kJ/mol and for water is -285.83 kJ/mol. We have 54g of water, which is equivalent to 3 moles (54/18 = 3). Therefore, the energy change for this reaction is:

∆H = (3 x -285.83) - (-156.6) = -572.49 kJ

Again, the negative sign indicates that this reaction is exothermic.

I hope this helps to clarify the concepts and steps involved in these types of calculations. Remember to always balance the chemical equation and use the correct enthalpy values for

1. What is the definition of energy in chemistry?

Energy in chemistry refers to the ability of a substance or system to do work. It is measured in joules (J) and is a fundamental concept in understanding chemical reactions and processes.

2. How is energy involved in chemical reactions?

In chemical reactions, energy is either released or absorbed. This can occur in the form of heat, light, or electricity. Reactions that release energy are exothermic, while reactions that absorb energy are endothermic.

3. What are some common units used for energy in chemistry?

The most common units for energy in chemistry are joules (J), kilojoules (kJ), and calories (cal). Other units such as electronvolts (eV) and kilocalories (kcal) may also be used.

4. How do you calculate the energy change in a chemical reaction?

The energy change in a chemical reaction can be calculated using the formula Q = m x c x ΔT, where Q is the heat energy, m is the mass of the substance, c is the specific heat capacity, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

5. What is the difference between enthalpy and internal energy?

Enthalpy (H) is the total heat content of a system, while internal energy (U) is the sum of all the kinetic and potential energies of the particles within a system. Enthalpy takes into account the heat exchanged between the system and its surroundings, while internal energy only considers the energy within the system.