How Do You Calculate Kp and Qp for Chemical Reactions at Equilibrium?

In summary, the conversation includes a question about calculating Kp and Qp for a given reaction with a value for Kc at a specific temperature. It also discusses the direction the reaction will proceed based on changes in temperature and pressure. The concept of Le Chatelier's principle is also mentioned.
dimens
Hey guys, I've just got an assessment coming up. I just want to double check if I got it right and perhaps people can help me with a question or two.

QUESTION
1. Consider the reaction A(s) + 3B(g) = 4C(g), ΔH°=-16.6kJ

i) Given Kc = 0.00570, calculate Kp at 198°C.
ii) Given p(B) = 0.10atm and p(C) = 0.90 atm calculate the reaction quotient, Qp, and determine in what direction the reaction will proceed.
iii) If, after the reaction reaches equilibrium, the temperature of the system increased, in what direction will the reaction proceed.
iv) If, after the reaction reaches equilibrium, the pressure of the system increased, in what direction will the reaction proceed.

i)
A(s) + 3B(g) = 4C(g)
kp = kc (RT)n

kp = x
kc = 0.00570
R = 0.0821 atm
T = 198+273 = 471K
n = 1

kp = 0.00570 (0.0821 x 471)1
= 0.22041 atm
= 0.22 atm (2 dp)

Do I have to include the number of moles in the solid or not? So in that case, the n = 0. But it doesn't make much sense having kp=kc right?

ii) solids not included.
∴ [C]4 / 3
Qp = 0.9^4 / 0.1^3
= 0.6561 / 0.001
= 656.1

Reaction would go forwards?
iii) Forward
iv) Forward

I honestly don't really understand the concept of which way the reaction is going to go. If someone could explain it it'd be great.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone?

dimens said:
QUESTION
1. Consider the reaction A(s) + 3B(g) = 4C(g), ΔH°=-16.6kJ

i) Given Kc = 0.00570, calculate Kp at 198°C.
ii) Given p(B) = 0.10atm and p(C) = 0.90 atm calculate the reaction quotient, Qp, and determine in what direction the reaction will proceed.
iii) If, after the reaction reaches equilibrium, the temperature of the system increased, in what direction will the reaction proceed.
iv) If, after the reaction reaches equilibrium, the pressure of the system increased, in what direction will the reaction proceed.

Do I have to include the number of moles in the solid or not? So in that case, the n = 0. But it doesn't make much sense having kp=kc right?
no you don't have to include no.of moles of solid.
ii) solids not included.
∴ [C]4 / 3
Qp = 0.9^4 / 0.1^3
= 0.6561 / 0.001
= 656.1

Reaction would go forwards?

no, it would go backwards,as Qp>Kp.
for (iii) and (iv) read le chatelier's principle.

http://www.chemguide.co.uk/physical/equilibria/lechatelier.html#top

1. What is meant by chemical equilibrium?

Chemical equilibrium is a state in which the forward and reverse reactions of a chemical system occur at equal rates, resulting in no net change in the concentrations of reactants and products over time.

2. How is equilibrium achieved in a chemical reaction?

Equilibrium is achieved when the rate of the forward reaction is equal to the rate of the reverse reaction. This can be achieved by adjusting the temperature, pressure, or concentrations of reactants and products.

3. What factors affect chemical equilibrium?

The factors that affect chemical equilibrium include temperature, pressure, concentration of reactants and products, and the presence of catalysts. Changes in these factors can shift the equilibrium position and affect the concentrations of reactants and products.

4. How do you calculate the equilibrium constant?

The equilibrium constant, represented as K, is calculated by taking the products of the concentrations of the products and dividing it by the products of the concentrations of the reactants, each raised to their respective stoichiometric coefficients. This equation is written as K = [C]^c[D]^d / [A]^a[B]^b, where A, B, C, and D are the reactants and products, and a, b, c, and d are their respective stoichiometric coefficients.

5. How do you determine the direction of a reaction at equilibrium?

The direction of a reaction at equilibrium can be determined by comparing the initial concentrations of reactants and products to the equilibrium concentrations. If the equilibrium concentrations of reactants are higher than the initial concentrations, the reaction will shift to the left (towards the reactants). If the equilibrium concentrations of products are higher, the reaction will shift to the right (towards the products).