Chemistry: Molecular vs. Atomic Iodine

In summary, the question is asking whether the moles of molecular iodine can simply be multiplied by two to get the moles of atomic iodine. It is not a trick question, as I2 is a molecule and I is an atom. The question is not a part of an advanced problem, but rather a small part of a lab report. The asker wanted to understand the theory behind the question and did not want anyone to solve it for them.
kayem
Hello,

This question is a theory question:

I have calculated the moles of molecular iodine in a problem (I2) and the next question asks to calculate the moles of atomic iodine. Do I just multiply the number I have by two (as iodine is a diatomic molecule) or is it a "trick" question and the moles are the same.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not a trick question. I is an atom and I2 is a molecule.

So if I have 0.75 mol of I2 then I have 1.5 mol of I?

Thanks!

Yes.

I assume you are just starting your chemistry education and this is one of the first assignments, not some fancy advanced problem.

Thanks so much!

It's actually just a small part of a larger question in a lab report but I just needed to know the theory behind the question as I was drawing a blank. The question I asked is just an example...not the actual question as I didn't want anybody to actually do the question for me (I do want to learn ;) )

Thanks for the help!

1. What is the difference between molecular and atomic iodine in chemistry?

In chemistry, molecular iodine (I2) refers to two iodine atoms bonded together, while atomic iodine (I) refers to a single iodine atom. This difference in bonding affects the physical and chemical properties of the two forms of iodine.

2. How can I distinguish between molecular and atomic iodine in a chemical reaction?

One way to distinguish between molecular and atomic iodine is by observing the color of the substance. Molecular iodine is a purple or violet color, while atomic iodine is a brownish-yellow color. Additionally, molecular iodine is less reactive compared to atomic iodine, so it will likely have a slower reaction rate in a chemical reaction.

3. What are some common uses of molecular and atomic iodine in chemistry?

Molecular iodine is commonly used as an antiseptic and disinfectant in medical settings. It is also used in the production of certain dyes and as a reagent in organic synthesis. Atomic iodine is used in the synthesis of various organic compounds and in the production of certain plastics and polymers.

4. How does the atomic weight differ between molecular and atomic iodine?

The atomic weight of molecular iodine (I2) is approximately 253.81 g/mol, while the atomic weight of atomic iodine (I) is approximately 126.90 g/mol. This is because molecular iodine consists of two iodine atoms, while atomic iodine only contains one.

5. What are the potential health effects of exposure to molecular and atomic iodine?

Molecular iodine is generally considered to be safe for human consumption in small amounts, but exposure to large amounts may cause nausea, vomiting, and other gastrointestinal issues. Atomic iodine, on the other hand, is highly reactive and can cause severe burns and tissue damage upon exposure. It is important to handle both forms of iodine with caution and follow proper safety protocols.