Molar Mass of Gas: Calculate at 100°C & 26.6 kPa

• Thread starter kro041193
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary, The conversation is about how to solve a problem involving the molar mass of a gas using the ideal gas law equation N=PV/RT. The person asking for help is unsure about how to use the equation and what molar mass is, and is directed to look up the definition of molar mass. It is also mentioned that temperature and pressure units need to be converted for the equation to work.
kro041193
please help me resolving this problem :s...what do I have to do , what equations I need to use?
What is the molar mass of a gas if 2.6 L of its gas has a mass of 5.4 g at 100°C and 26.6 kPa?

Physics news on Phys.org
The ideal gas law.

yes but i mean how can i use it.. i know that the equation is :

N=PV/RT

but i don't really know how to answer the problem with it

okay so calculate the number of moles. Then it looks like what you are left with is the number of moles, and a mass

what is molar mass again?

the molar mass is what is asking

yeah I know that's what you are asking. But do you know what molar mass is? Because if you don't know what it is, that's where I would start my problem solving process

You have all the numbers you need; you just need to change temperature into kelvin, and pascals into atomospheres.

aa ok .. and no i don't know

Haha http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molar_mass that is a link for molar mass.

but if you don't know what one of the variables in your problem is, then you should find that out. because it turns out that molar mass is literally how much 1 mole of something weighs. And in units it is grams/mole.

ok thnx

Related to Molar Mass of Gas: Calculate at 100°C & 26.6 kPa

What is molar mass of a gas?

Molar mass of a gas is the mass of one mole of that gas, measured in grams per mole.

How do you calculate molar mass of a gas at 100°C and 26.6 kPa?

To calculate molar mass of a gas at 100°C and 26.6 kPa, you can use the ideal gas law equation: M = (mRT)/(PV), where M is the molar mass, m is the mass of the gas, R is the gas constant, T is the temperature in Kelvin, P is the pressure, and V is the volume.

What is the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law is a mathematical equation that describes the relationships between pressure, volume, temperature, and amount of a gas. It is expressed as PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature in Kelvin.

Why is it important to calculate molar mass of a gas?

Calculating molar mass of a gas is important because it helps determine the physical and chemical properties of the gas, such as density, boiling point, and reactivity. It also helps in the conversion of gas measurements from one unit to another.

What factors can affect the molar mass of a gas?

The molar mass of a gas can be affected by various factors such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of other gases. Changes in these factors can lead to changes in the volume and density of the gas, ultimately affecting its molar mass.