Choose the best scale for the axes for x = 10, 20, and 30

• Thread starter dr_pooool
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Axes Scale
In summary, the conversation discusses choosing the best scale for the axes in a given equation. The options for the axes scales are listed as A, B, C, and D, and the individual is asked to determine if the smallest and largest values for x are included in the suggested values for y. When asked to elaborate, the person clarifies that they are unsure of what is being asked and suggests working out the coordinates for each value of x and considering the desired amount of detail and resolution.
dr_pooool
I need help!

I am practicing out of my book and this problem is killing me.

Given the following equation, choose the best scale for the axes for x = 10, 20, and 30

y = 2x – 3

A) x-axis: from 0 to 80, intervals every 20; y-axis: from 0 to 40, intervals every 10.
B) x-axis: from 0 to 15, intervals every 10; y-axis: from 0 to 40, intervals every 20
C) x-axis: from 0 to 40, intervals every 10; y-axis: from 0 to 80, intervals every 10
D) x-axis: from 20 to 40, intervals every 5; y-axis: from 27 to 80, intervals every 40

Physics news on Phys.org
For each of A, B, C, D, see what y is for the smallest and largest given values of x. Are those values included in the suggested values for y?

I am not sure of what you are asking? Can you please elaborate.

Work out the x and y coordinates for each of the values of x you are given, and think how much detail you want to just fit them, and have the right resolution.

1. What does "choosing the best scale for the axes" mean in this context?

Choosing the best scale for the axes refers to determining the appropriate range and intervals for the x-axis and y-axis of a graph, in order to accurately represent the data being plotted. This helps to ensure that the graph is not too compressed or too spread out, and allows for clear interpretation of the data.

2. How do I determine the appropriate scale for the x-axis and y-axis?

The best way to determine the appropriate scale for the axes is to consider the range of values for the data being plotted. You want to choose a scale that includes all the data points, but also allows for easy interpretation. It may be helpful to start with a rough estimate and then adjust as needed.

3. What are some common mistakes when choosing the scale for axes?

One common mistake is using a scale that is too large or too small, resulting in a graph that is difficult to interpret. Another mistake is using a different scale for each axis, which can distort the relationship between the variables being plotted.

4. Can I use a logarithmic scale for the axes?

It is possible to use a logarithmic scale for the axes, but this should only be done if the data being plotted follows a logarithmic pattern. In most cases, a linear scale is more appropriate for accurately representing the data.

5. Are there any guidelines for choosing the best scale for axes?

There are no strict guidelines for choosing the best scale for axes, as it will depend on the specific data being plotted. However, it is important to consider the range of values, the desired level of detail, and the overall purpose of the graph in order to choose an appropriate scale.