Choosing a control volume

1. Sep 5, 2013 #1
    Hello,

My professor did a lecture about mass conservation in a system. He basically explained the lining that separates the system from the surroundings is the control surface, and all that is contained within the system is the control volume.

I think it was explained rather loosely, and we need to have a firm understanding of the concept. I think it was somewhat vague as to the applications of control volumes and how to choose it for a given problem, or even what it really is. I feel somewhat lost on this part, and my textbook is not followed closely by the instructor.

I was wondering if anyone knew some good literature to read on choosing control volumes and explaining what it means, if not if someone could give some explanation, I would be very grateful.

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The point is that it does not matter how you choose the control volume - so long as the volume enclosed is isolated. It's an entirely abstract concept. If you are also doing a practical course, you will learn more about what constitutes a control there.

4. Sep 6, 2013 #3

Q_Goest

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

5. Sep 10, 2013 #4
    See Transport Phenomena by Bird, Stewart, and Lightfoot

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted