Choosing a control volume

1. Hello,

My professor did a lecture about mass conservation in a system. He basically explained the lining that separates the system from the surroundings is the control surface, and all that is contained within the system is the control volume.

I think it was explained rather loosely, and we need to have a firm understanding of the concept. I think it was somewhat vague as to the applications of control volumes and how to choose it for a given problem, or even what it really is. I feel somewhat lost on this part, and my textbook is not followed closely by the instructor.

I was wondering if anyone knew some good literature to read on choosing control volumes and explaining what it means, if not if someone could give some explanation, I would be very grateful.

Thank you
  2. jcsd
  3. Simon Bridge

Simon Bridge 15,311
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The point is that it does not matter how you choose the control volume - so long as the volume enclosed is isolated. It's an entirely abstract concept. If you are also doing a practical course, you will learn more about what constitutes a control there.
  4. Q_Goest

Q_Goest 2,983
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

5. See Transport Phenomena by Bird, Stewart, and Lightfoot
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?

Draft saved Draft deleted