Choosing a heater band for vacuum system bakeout

In summary, the conversation is about finding the right wattage heater band for a cylindrical vacuum chamber made of stainless steel. The required wattage for bringing the chamber up to and maintaining a constant temperature of 200C has been calculated, but there is confusion about how to account for heat loss to the air. A quick Google search suggests that the heat loss may be significant and insulation and multiple heater bands may be necessary for better uniformity and regulation. A link to a research paper discussing a similar problem is provided for further reference.
JoJoQuinoa
Hello,

I'm trying to find the right wattage heater band for a cylindrical vacuum chamber that is stainless steel (304), ~2ft in length, ~0.5ft in diameter, and ~0.5 in thick.

From a quick google search, I was able to calculate the required wattage for bring the chamber up to and constant at 200C from room temperature. The bake time will be 1 hour from room temp to the desired temp and 11 hours at the desired temp. However, what I'm confused on is how to account for the heat loss to the air. Is it significant to be accounted for?

Thanks in advance,

Engineering news on Phys.org
See Example 9.2 on page 14 of this PDF file. Ball park guestimate from that example and its comments on radiation yields 2000W of heat loss to the environment.

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Kifah_Sarraf/post/What_should_the_force_in_the_momentum_conservation_equation_be_in_a_natural_convection_problem_that_has_air_as_the_working_fluid/attachment/59d636d579197b80779943b1/AS%3A390557672198147%401470127613757/download/Chapter9_Free-Convection_Bergman_6th-ed.pdf

(above found with:
https://www.google.com/search?&q=convection+loss+200C+to+free+air)

(I hope there are some experts around here to chime in!)

Cheers,
Tom

A couple of notes:
A device like this would typically be thoroughly insulated (mineral wool). Without insulation, local cooling will allow a large gradient across the unit.

SS is a horrible thermal conductor. You will get better uniformity (and regulation) with multiple heater bands.

1. How do I determine the appropriate size of heater band for my vacuum system?

The size of the heater band needed for your vacuum system depends on the size and shape of your system, as well as the desired temperature and rate of heating. It is important to measure the diameter and length of your system and consult the manufacturer's guidelines for selecting the appropriate size heater band.

2. What is the optimal temperature for bakeout of a vacuum system?

The optimal temperature for bakeout of a vacuum system depends on the materials used in the system and the level of outgassing that needs to be achieved. Generally, temperatures between 100-150°C are recommended for most materials, but it is important to consult the manufacturer's guidelines for specific recommendations.

3. Can I reuse a heater band for multiple bakeout cycles?

Yes, heater bands can typically be reused for multiple bakeout cycles as long as they are not damaged or worn out. It is important to clean the heater band after each use and check for any signs of damage before reusing it.

4. Are there any safety precautions I should take when using a heater band for vacuum system bakeout?

Yes, it is important to follow all safety guidelines provided by the manufacturer when using a heater band for vacuum system bakeout. This may include wearing protective gear, ensuring proper ventilation, and monitoring the temperature closely to prevent overheating.

5. Can I use a heater band for bakeout of all types of vacuum systems?

Heater bands can be used for bakeout of most types of vacuum systems, but it is important to check with the manufacturer to ensure compatibility. Some systems may require specialized heating methods, so it is important to consult the manufacturer's guidelines for the best approach.