Heater - Heat Exchange Questions:

In summary, the speaker has recently acquired 20 gallons of used motor oil, an old window AC unit, and a design for an oil burner and boiler. They are hoping to use these items to build a heater for a small area with specific temperature requirements. They have a few problems that they need help solving, including determining the ideal water temperature and flow rate for the system, as well as the capacity of the boiler tank and heat transfer rate between the tank and combustion chamber. They have provided additional information about the AC evaporator coil, room insulation, and combustion chamber dimensions.
DIYSer
I recently acquired a few things that I'm hoping I can use to build a heater for a small area (10'H x 12'W x 12'L).

Things I current have:

1. 20 gallons of used motor oil.
2. An old 5200 BTU window AC unit. The blower components work, the coils are 'supposedly' good, but the compressor is bad.
3. A design for an oil burner + boiler

I've got a few problems that I need some help solving:

1. I want the blower discharge air temp to be 125 degrees F. That obviously means my boiler water temp must be higher--but how much higher (145-165 F?). How would I calculate the ideal water temp so that I can get the temp I want to come out of the system?

2. Assuming I don't need a water circulating pump, how can I then calculate the boiler water flow rate at the water temp solved for in Q1 (above)? If I do need a water circulating pump, how would I calculate the ideal water flow rate to achieve my desired output temp?

3. How would I calculate the ideal capacity of my boiler tank so that it contains enough heat to maintain a continuous heating for at least 45 minutes?

4. How would I then calculate the heat transfer rate between the boiler tank & the combustion chamber?

Thanks in advance for any help that you can provide.

p.s.:

- The AC evaporator coil uses 1/8" diameter copper tubing
- The dimensions of the evap coil are: 7"H x 13"W

Science news on Phys.org
x 16"L- The room is insulated with R-19 fiberglass- The combustion chamber will be made of 6" (inner diameter) x 12" (long) black steel pipe.

What is a heater?

A heater is a device that is used to raise the temperature of a space or an object. It works by using electricity, gas, or another source of energy to generate heat and transfer it to the surrounding area.

How does a heater work?

A heater works by using a heating element, such as a coil or a resistor, to convert electrical energy into heat energy. This heat is then transferred to the surrounding air or water through convection or conduction, respectively.

What is the purpose of a heat exchanger in a heater?

A heat exchanger is a component within a heater that is responsible for transferring heat from the heating element to the surrounding medium, such as air or water. It increases the efficiency of the heater by maximizing the surface area for heat transfer.

What are the different types of heaters?

There are several types of heaters, including electric heaters, gas heaters, and solar heaters. Electric heaters use electricity to generate heat, while gas heaters use natural gas or propane. Solar heaters use the sun's energy to heat a liquid that is then circulated through the heater.

How do you maintain a heater?

To maintain a heater, it is important to regularly clean or replace the air filters, inspect the heating elements for any damage, and check for any gas leaks if applicable. It is also recommended to have a professional perform routine maintenance, such as checking for carbon monoxide leaks, to ensure the heater is functioning safely and efficiently.