Christofel Symbols Tensors?

I'm sort of confused about Christofel symbols being called tensors. I thought that to be considered a tensor, the tensor had to obey the standard component transformation law. For example: Ga'b' = Lca'Ldb'Gcd
But the Christofel symbols don't obey this transformation law; their components transform in a different way (I would like to show it, but I don't know how; see exercise 10.3 of MWT).
What gives?

cristo

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
No, Christoffel symbols are not tensors.

Oh ... thought they were

Mentz114

Gold Member
Christoffel symbols make the covariant derivative a tensor. Try transforming one.

dx

when love is, self is not
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I haven't seen a single book on GR which introduces the Christoffel symbols without immediately pointing out that they're not tensors.

samalkhaiat

Science Advisor
I'm sort of confused about Christofel symbols being called tensors. I thought that to be considered a tensor, the tensor had to obey the standard component transformation law. For example: Ga'b' = Lca'Ldb'Gcd
But the Christofel symbols don't obey this transformation law; their components transform in a different way (I would like to show it, but I don't know how; see exercise 10.3 of MWT).
What gives?
They transform inhomogeneously under general coordinates transformations, i.e., not tensors. However, the inhomogeneous term in the transformation law vanishes if the coordinate transformations are LINEAR. So, they do transform as tensors with respect to all linear coordinate transformations.

sam

The Physics Forums Way

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving