Christoffel Symbols of Hiscock Coordinates

Onyx
TL;DR Summary
Calculating the christoffel symbols of Hiscock coordinates.
The Hiscock coordinates read:

$$d\tau=(1+\frac{v^2(1-f)}{1-v^2(1-f)^2})dt-\frac{v(1-f)}{1-v^2(1-f)^2}dx$$

##dr=dx-vdt##

Where ##f## is a function of ##r##. Now, in terms of calculating the christoffel symbol ##\Gamma^\tau_{\tau\tau}## of the new metric, where ##g_{\tau\tau}=v^2(1-f)^2-1## and ##g_{\tau r}=0##, can I safely assume that ##\Gamma^\tau_{\tau\tau}=0##, since ##\frac{\partial g_{\tau\tau}}{\partial \tau}=\frac{\partial g_{\tau\tau}}{\partial r}\frac{\partial r}{\partial \tau}## (in the Jacobi matrix ##\frac{\partial r}{\partial \tau}=0)##?

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

in terms of calculating the christoffel symbol ##\Gamma^\tau_{\tau\tau}## of the new metric
What "new metric"? ##\tau## isn't a coordinate, it's proper time.

Ibix
Science Advisor
Insights Author
2022 Award
What "new metric"? ##\tau## isn't a coordinate, it's proper time.
Not in this case, apparently. The new coordinates appear to be ##\tau,r##. This appears to be in reference to https://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/9707024.

Ibix
Science Advisor
Insights Author
2022 Award
Where in this paper does the metric shown in the OP appear?
There isn't a complete metric in the OP, but the stated ##g_{\tau\tau}## and ##g_{\tau r}## match equation 12 given equation 10 for a definition of ##A(r)##.

Onyx
Not in this case, apparently. The new coordinates appear to be ##\tau,r##. This appears to be in reference to https://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/9707024.
I apoligize, I should have adopted ##dT## instead to be more clear.

Onyx
Would it be possible to do it with something like Maple?

Ibix
Science Advisor
Insights Author
2022 Award
I'm struggling slightly to determine the definition of ##\tau## here. The definition you quote, given in the paper I found, is for ##d\tau##. By the chain rule that's ##\frac{\partial\tau}{\partial t}dt+\frac{\partial\tau}{\partial r}dr##, but I can't make sense of the coefficients in your definition in those terms. Am I missing something here?

Onyx
This might help:
##d\tau=dt-\frac{v(1-f)}{1-v^2(1-f)^2}dr=dt-\frac{v(1-f)}{1-v^2(1-f)^2}(dx-vdt)=(1+\frac{v^2(1-f)}{1-v^2(1-f)^2})dt-\frac{v(1-f)}{1-v^2(1-f)^2}dx##

Onyx
This might help:
##d\tau=dt-\frac{v(1-f)}{1-v^2(1-f)^2}dr=dt-\frac{v(1-f)}{1-v^2(1-f)^2}(dx-vdt)##
My instinct is that, since it says that the metric is "manifestly static", ##\Gamma^{\tau}_{\tau\tau}## is indeed zero.

Ibix
Science Advisor
Insights Author
2022 Award
Don't guess, calculate. Generally you know that$$\Gamma^a_{bc}=\frac 12g^{ai}\left(\partial_b g_{ic}+\partial_c g_{bi}-\partial_i g_{bc}\right)$$so in this case$$\Gamma^\tau_{\tau\tau}=\frac 12g^{\tau i}\left(\partial_\tau g_{i\tau}+\partial_\tau g_{\tau i}-\partial_ig_{\tau\tau}\right)$$I think that the metric is diagonal, so the only non-zero ##g^{\tau i}## is the ##i=\tau## one. But since ##g_{\tau\tau}## has no explicit dependence on ##\tau## then the Christoffel symbol is indeed zero.

Onyx
Don't guess, calculate. Generally you know that$$\Gamma^a_{bc}=\frac 12g^{ai}\left(\partial_b g_{ic}+\partial_c g_{bi}-\partial_i g_{bc}\right)$$so in this case$$\Gamma^\tau_{\tau\tau}=\frac 12g^{\tau i}\left(\partial_\tau g_{i\tau}+\partial_\tau g_{\tau i}-\partial_ig_{\tau\tau}\right)$$I think that the metric is diagonal, so the only non-zero ##g^{\tau i}## is the ##i=\tau## one. But since ##g_{\tau\tau}## has no explicit dependence on ##\tau## then the Christoffel symbol is indeed zero.
I was pretty sure of it was zero. Thank you. One last thing:

For the new metric, is ##n_a=(\sqrt{A},0)##?

Suggested for: Christoffel Symbols of Hiscock Coordinates

Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
Replies
Views