Chromatography as a separation techinique

In summary: Thanks for your responses. Chromatography can be used to separate colorless compounds, but how might you tell them apart? Chromatography can be used to separate colorless compounds, but how might you tell them apart? For two different compounds that have identical Rf values, chromatography would not be able to differentiate between the two compounds. However, if you perform a certain reaction and you expect two possible products yet your chromatogram yields three spots, would you be able to identify all three compounds? How?Yes, the appearance of the spot would help me identify the unknown spot because same spot but diffent colors can also distinguish between the two. as for 3 spots, I
phys1618

Homework Statement

In detail, explain the theory behind the use of chromatography as a
a.)separation technique.
b.) identification technique.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that chromatography can be used as a separation technique and also indetification technique. I'm just unsure when the question said in detail, explain the theory. But this was my answer.
a. The theory behind chromatographys as a separation tehnique is to separate different types of organice compounds. It includes two phasses to separate the the compounds. The phases is the stationary phase which is the solid like alumina. The other phase is the moving phase which includes the solvents. When the mixture is passed through the stationary phase, different compounds will travel at different rate down the alumina. Sometimes more solvent is needed for different polarity of the compounds. Therefore, this technique can be used as a separating thenique.

b. The theory behind the chromatogaphy can be used as a identification tehnique is that it can show what kind of compound is in the mixture by using a paper chromatography. The mixture is dotted on a special type of paper and then dipped into a solvent. The solvent will move up the paper and lines of colors will appear. The different types of colors are evidence as the different type of compounds included in the mixture. When compared the pigment of the lines can be identified. Therefore, this technique can be used to also identification tehnique.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm going to play a bit of the Devil's advocate so don't get mad!

You are pretty spot on concerning your description of chromatography as a separation technique.

However...

As an identification technique, how would you distinguish between two different compounds that had identical Rf values? Will the appearance of a spot help you identify an unknown spot? If you performed a certain reaction and you expected two possible products yet your chromatogram yields three spots, would you be able to identify all three compounds? How?

ehhe I'm not goin to get mad. I appreciate your help!

I truly don't know how to distinguish between two different compounds that had identical Rf values. I would do the experiemtn again? Can they be the same compounds or are closely related? Yes, the appearance of the spot would help me identify the unknown spot because same spot but diffent colors can also distinguish between the two. as for 3 spots, I can use a different solvents to determine the three compounds.
Thank you for responding, your questions just make me clearer about the identification process.

You were obviously using chromatography to separate the colors in a mixture. It can also be used to separate colorless compounds. How might you tell them apart?

Yes, the appearance of the spot would help me identify the unknown spot because same spot but diffent colors can also distinguish between the two. as for 3 spots, I can use a different solvents to determine the three compounds.

You are on to something here. Changing the parameters like solvent polarity or column chemistry can sometimes be used to separate two closely spaced spots. Google "two dimensional chromatography" for some background. Still, are they identified?

use different temperature. The distance they travel is then used to calculate an Rf value which can be compared to known values to identify a substance. the 3 spots may or may not be identified. Can it be contaminated with an outside source, that's why there's 3 rather than 2?

1. What is chromatography and how does it work?

Chromatography is a physical method of separating mixtures into their individual components. It works by passing a mixture through a stationary phase (such as a solid or liquid) and a mobile phase (such as a liquid or gas). The different components of the mixture will move at different rates, causing them to separate from each other.

2. What are the different types of chromatography?

There are several types of chromatography, including gas chromatography, liquid chromatography, and thin-layer chromatography. These different types use different stationary and mobile phases, and are suitable for separating different types of mixtures.

3. What is the significance of the retention factor in chromatography?

The retention factor, or Rf value, is a measure of how far a component of a mixture travels in relation to the solvent front in chromatography. It is used to identify and compare different components in a mixture, as each component will have a unique Rf value.

4. What is the importance of the stationary phase in chromatography?

The stationary phase is essential in chromatography, as it is what causes the separation of the components in a mixture. The properties of the stationary phase, such as its polarity and chemical composition, determine how the components will interact and separate from each other.

5. What are some common applications of chromatography?

Chromatography is used in various industries and fields, such as pharmaceuticals, forensics, and environmental testing. It is commonly used to separate and analyze complex mixtures, identify substances, and purify compounds for further use.