1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circle easy question,

1. Feb 22, 2009 #1
    :frown:1. I have a circle equation
    [tex](x+a)^2+(y+b)^2=r^2[/tex]
    And suppose we start from the topmost of the circle
    2.I have an angle Theta
    and if Theta is larger than 0 we move counterclockwise or we will move in the opposite direction if it is positive.
    , how can I find out the coordinates of a point on the circle after the move

Thanks a lot :)

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You mean "negative" instead of this second "positive" don't you?

For [itex]\theta[/itex] between 0 and [itex]\pi/2[/itex], at least, You can construct a right triangle by drawing a line from (0,0) to the point and then from the point perpendicular to the right angle. The y-coordinate of the point is the "near side", the x-coordinate is the negative of the "opposite side".

4. Feb 27, 2009 #3
    I am sorry I am not a native, not understanding what you mean

In the picture below, I'd like to know what is P's coordinates given rotation angle alpha and a point O(0,a)

The circle equation is
    (x+a)^2+(y+b)^2=r^2

Thanks
    Regards

Attached Files:

5. Feb 27, 2009 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You are taking [itex]\theta[/itex] to be 0 at the "top", (a,b+ r) and measuring it clockwise? If you were using the "standard", [itex]\theta= 0[/itex] to the right, (a+r, 0), and measuring counter clockwise, then you could use the parametric equations, [itex]x= r cos(\theta)+ a[/itex], [itex]y= r sin(\theta)+ b[/itex]. The fact that you starting 90 degrees off that means you need to swap sine and cosine: [itex]x= r sin(\theta)+ a[/itex] and [itex]y= r cos(\theta)+ a[/itex]. Now, taking [itex]\theta= 0[/itex] you can see that [itex]x= r(0)+ a= a[/itex], [itex]y= r(1)+ b= b+ r[/itex] as you want. Further taking [itex]\theta= \pi/2[/itex], we have [itex]x= r(1)+ a= a+ r[/itex], [itex]y= r(0)+ b= b[/itex] as wanted.

[itex]x= r sin(\theta)+ a[/itex], [itex]y= r cos(\theta)+ b[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook