Geometry Homework: Sum of Circles and Triangles in Figure

In summary, the figure attached shows an infinite number of circles and triangles, with the largest circle having a radius of 10. The required solution is the sum of all circles and triangles in the figure. One approach to finding the solution is by using the geometric series formula, with the radius of each circle being exactly half of the previous one. The sum of the areas of all circles and triangles can be expressed as pi times the sum of the radii squared, and the solution can be found by using the formula s = a/(1-r). However, the given answers of 475/3 pi for circles and 175/2 sqrt(3) for triangles may not be correct.
darkmagic

Homework Statement

Please see the attached figure
The radius of the biggest circle is 10.
The required is the sum of all circles and the sum of all triangles in the figure.
There is an infinite number of circles and triangles.

My answers are:
for circle: 475/3 pi
for triangle: 175/2 sqrt(3)

I have my solutions please check if they are correct.

Attachments

• cir tri.jpg
    cir tri.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 371
Physics news on Phys.org
That's not what I get.

Each side of triangle cuts the circle in a 360/3 = 120 degree arc.

Taking "r" as a radius of the circle, the two radii and one side of a triangle form a small triangle with 2 sides of length r and angle 120 degrees. By the cosine law, the side of the triangle has length s given by [itex]s^2= r^2+ r^2- 2r*r cos(120)= 2r^2+ 2r^2(-1/2)= 3r^2[/itex] so that [itex]s= r\sqrt{3}[/itex]. Dropping a perpendicular from the center of the circle to the side of the triangle gives a right triangle with hypotenuse of length r and one leg of length [itex](\sqrt{3}/2 )r[/itex]. By the Pythagorean theorem, The other leg has length given by [itex]x^2= r^2- (3/4)r^2= (1/4)r^2[/itex] so that [itex]x= r/2[/itex]. That is, each circle has radius exactly half the radius of the next larger circle.

If the outermost circle has radius R, then sum of the areas is the geometric series
[tex]\R^2+ \frac{1}{4}\pi R^2+ \frac{1}{8}\pi R^2+ \cdot\cdot\cdot[/tex]
[tex]= \pi R^2(1+ \frac{1}{4}+ \frac{1}{8}+ \cdot\cdot\cdot)[/tex].

In my solution, first circle is 10 then the second is 5. after that, I used s = a/(1-r). a=25 since 5 will be squared and r=1/4. So my solution is A = pi[10^2 + 5^2 +25/(1-1/4). so my answer becomes 475/3 pi.

What is the difference between a circle and a triangle?

A circle is a shape with a curved boundary, while a triangle is a shape with three straight sides and three angles.

What are the properties of a circle?

A circle has a constant radius, diameter, and circumference. It also has a center point and all points on the boundary are equidistant from the center.

What are the properties of a triangle?

A triangle has three sides, three angles, and a unique area and perimeter. The sum of its angles is always 180 degrees.

How are circles and triangles used in geometry?

Circles and triangles are fundamental shapes that are used in many geometric theorems and proofs. They are also used to construct more complex shapes and figures.

What are some real-life applications of circles and triangles?

Circles and triangles can be found in many real-life objects and structures, such as wheels, clock faces, and bridges. They are also used in navigation, architecture, and engineering.