Circuit Analysis: Find R & Power from i_o, v_g

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the value of R and the power supplied by a voltage source given a current and voltage measurement. The individual attempts at solving the problem are discussed, including using the Delta-Y method to simplify the equations. The expert summarizer suggests using KCL and KVL to find the values of R and the other currents in the circuit.
ElijahRockers
Gold Member

Homework Statement

KQL49.jpg

The current i_o = 8A, Voltage v_g = 480 V.

a) Find the value of R.

b) Find the power supplied by the voltage source.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I noted both pairs of series resistors, to make the calculations a little simpler, and what I ended up with was this delta-Y or Y-delta formation (not sure, just saw something about it on a post here while digging around).

I figured that the voltage drops across each resistor MUST equal 480V, so I started setting up the equations, but I'm not sure if I really did it right.

There were 5 other currents which are not given. I dubbed the one passing through 'R' to be I3, the one passing through the 4ohm resistor to be I1, the one passing through the 20ohm resistor series as I2, and the one passing through the 10ohm resistor as I4. I dubbed the current flowing through the voltage source to be Is.

Doing what I hoped was an accurate KVL of that freakin triangle thing, as well as some KCLs, I came up with 5 equations, with a total of 6 variables including the Resistor...
At this point I'm pretty sure I've done something wrong, but I'm not sure what?

Part B should be easy once I find Part A.

Physics news on Phys.org
I figured that the voltage drops across each resistor MUST equal 480V

Huh ? You need to be a lot more specific. The exact statement you made does not make sense.

Sorry, I meant the voltage drop across the entire resistor mass, that whole freaky mess of resistors that I don't understand. Not each resistor.

ElijahRockers said:
Sorry, I meant the voltage drop across the entire resistor mass, that whole freaky mess of resistors that I don't understand. Not each resistor.

OK, that makes sense. Now you need to lable your figure to go with your work. When you are asking someone to help you out, it's not a great idea to make it hard for them.

Also, I'd suggest just doing it by loops. Forget about deltas and Ys

There's enough information given to work your way through the circuit, placing node voltages and currents as you go. For example, you're given that ##i_o = 8A##. So what must be the voltage drop across the 15Ω it runs through? So what then is the following node's potential?(assume Vg's negative terminal is a common reference point)

phinds said:
OK, that makes sense. Now you need to lable your figure to go with your work. When you are asking someone to help you out, it's not a great idea to make it hard for them.

Also, I'd suggest just doing it by loops. Forget about deltas and Ys

Actually, The figure is labeled. Right below the picture I put in the values.

gneill said:
There's enough information given to work your way through the circuit, placing node voltages and currents as you go. For example, you're given that ##i_o = 8A##. So what must be the voltage drop across the 15Ω it runs through? So what then is the following node's potential?(assume Vg's negative terminal is a common reference point)

It's a voltage drop of 120V altogether. But from there on it turns into a huge mess of equations :(

But we just learned the Delta-Y formulas in class yesterday, so hopefully that will make this easier.

EDIT: Using the delta-y method made the system much easier to solve. yielded 3 equations with 3 variables, as opposed to the 6 or 7 I had before!

Last edited:
ElijahRockers said:
Actually, The figure is labeled. Right below the picture I put in the values.

It's a voltage drop of 120V altogether. But from there on it turns into a huge mess of equations :(

But we just learned the Delta-Y formulas in class yesterday, so hopefully that will make this easier.

EDIT: Using the delta-y method made the system much easier to solve. yielded 3 equations with 3 variables, as opposed to the 6 or 7 I had before!

You didn't need to deal with "a huge mess of equations". With the voltage drop of 120V you have the potential at the next node, and thus the current through the 14Ω + 6Ω resistors. A little KCL at the node and you've got the current through the 4Ω resistor, and thus the potential at its other end, then the rest of the currents fall into place and the value of R becomes trivial.

What is circuit analysis?

Circuit analysis is the process of using mathematical and theoretical methods to understand and analyze the behavior of electrical circuits. It involves calculating parameters such as current, voltage, and resistance to determine how a circuit will behave under different conditions.

How do you find the resistance (R) in a circuit?

The resistance in a circuit can be found by using Ohm's Law, which states that resistance (R) is equal to the voltage (V) divided by the current (I). In other words, R = V/I. This equation can also be rearranged to find voltage or current if the other two values are known.

How do you find the power in a circuit?

The power in a circuit can be found by using the equation P = VI, where P is power, V is voltage, and I is current. This equation can also be used to find any of the three values if the other two are known.

What is v_g in circuit analysis?

In circuit analysis, v_g refers to the voltage across a specific component or part of the circuit. It can also be referred to as the voltage drop or voltage difference. It is typically measured in volts (V).

How does one determine the current (i_o) in a circuit?

The current (i_o) in a circuit can be determined by using Kirchhoff's Current Law, which states that the sum of currents entering a node (or junction) in a circuit must equal the sum of currents leaving the node. This law can be applied to any point in the circuit to determine the current at that point.