1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circuit Problem electrical engineering

1. Sep 20, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Here's the question:
    http://puu.sh/171ls [Broken]

3. The attempt at a solution

I have no idea where to begin. It says R(AB) = R(L) = 301 ohms. What does that mean? Does R(AB) mean the resistance from A to B? Is that the total resistance? The total resistance is equal to 301 ohms which is also equal to R(L)? I don't know. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2012 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Yes, RAB is the equivalent resistance of the entire network as "seen" from the terminals AB.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  4. Sep 20, 2012 #3
    Ok, I think I got it. R should equal roughly 174 ohms.

5. Sep 20, 2012 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Looks good :smile:

6. Sep 20, 2012 #5
    Hi! Note that the circuit can be drawn as a resistance R in series with the parallel combination of: (a) a resistance of R and (b) a series combination of the resistances R and R(L).

Then, the circuit can be drawn as a resistance of R in series with the parallel combination of R and (R + R(L)).

First, determine the equivalent resistance of the parallel portion of the circuit, R and R + R(L).

[tex]\frac{1}{R(Parallel)} = \frac{1}{R + R(L)} + \frac{1}{R}[/tex]
    [tex]\Rightarrow R(Parallel) = \frac{1}{\frac{1}{R + R(L)} + \frac{1}{R}}[/tex]

Multiply the numerator and denominator of the right side of the equation by [itex]\frac{R(R + R(L))}{R(R + R(L))}[/itex] to get the following:

[tex]R(Parallel) = \frac{R(R + R(L))}{R + R + R(L)} = \frac{R^2 + R(L)}{2R + R(L)}[/tex]

You are then told that R(AB) must equal R(L). This becomes the following:

[tex]R + \frac{R^2 + R(L)}{2R + R(L)} = R(L)[/tex]

Then, multiply both sides of the equation by (2R + R(L)) to get the following:

[tex]R(2R + R(L)) + R^2 + R(L) = (2R + R(L))R(L) = 2RR(L) + (R(L))^2[/tex]
    [tex]\Rightarrow 2R^2 + RR(L) + R^2 + R(L) = 2RR(L) + (R(L))^2[/tex]
    [tex]\Rightarrow 3R^2 - RR(L) + R(L) - (R(L))^2 = 0[/tex]
    [tex]\Rightarrow 3R^2 - 301R + (301) - (301)^2 = 0[/tex]
    [tex]\Rightarrow 3R^2 -301R + 301 - 90601 = 0[/tex]
    [tex]\Rightarrow 3R^2 - 301R - 90300 = 0[/tex]

Applying the quadratic equation (I'll leave the details up to you) yields the following:

[tex]R = 230.7675926 ohms ≈ 231 ohms[/tex]

You will want to double check my result; but I think that I did everything okay.

7. Sep 20, 2012 #6
    ^If I plug 231 in for R, Rab comes out to be about 390 ohms.

174 for R gives me 301 ohms for Rab though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook