How Do I Calculate the Internal Resistance in a Circuit?

• Thread starter tweety1234
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuits
In summary, the conversation is about a circuit question where the speaker is trying to find the resistance needed to yield a certain current with a 3V source. They are also discussing how to show the internal resistance of the battery in the circuit. The conversation ends with a request for the equations and solutions to be provided.
tweety1234

Homework Statement

Hi,

I am really stuck on another circut question, if anyone can help with question 3b (i) , I don't really know were to start, so don't have any working/solution to show for.

thank you!

Attachments

• phy2.pdf
    284.3 KB · Views: 232
Physics news on Phys.org
You know the voltage drop across the 5ohm resistor therefore you can find the current. Now what resistance is needed to yield that current with a 3V source?

Integral said:
You know the voltage drop across the 5ohm resistor therefore you can find the current. Now what resistance is needed to yield that current with a 3V source?

but how do i show its 0.4 ohms? 0.4 + 5 = 5.4

3/5.4 = 0.55 amps? is this correct?

tweety1234 said:
but how do i show its 0.4 ohms?

0.4 + 5 = 5.4

3/5.4 = 0.55 amps? is this correct?

I'm not understanding where you're going with that. Instead...

The "internal" resistance of the battery should be shown as a resistor in series with the battery, on the same leg of the circuit as the battery. So draw a resistor next to the battery on that top line, and label it Rbat.

Now label where you are measuring the voltage with the meter. Draw the current flowing around the circuit. See how there is some voltage drop across the Rbat caused by the current? That voltage drop decreases the measured voltage as compared to the Vbat value.

Now write the equation(s) that represent that situation, and solve them here for us.

FAQ: How Do I Calculate the Internal Resistance in a Circuit?

1. How do I approach solving circuits?

When approaching a circuit problem, it is important to first identify the type of circuit (series, parallel, combination) and the components present (resistors, capacitors, etc.). Then, use the appropriate equations and laws (Ohm's law, Kirchhoff's laws) to analyze the circuit and find the unknown values.

2. What is the purpose of solving circuits?

The purpose of solving circuits is to understand and predict the behavior of electrical systems. This is crucial in designing and troubleshooting electronic devices and systems.

3. How do I know which equations to use when solving circuits?

The equations used depend on the type of circuit and the components present. For example, Ohm's law (V=IR) is used for resistors in series or parallel, while the capacitance equation (C=Q/V) is used for capacitors in series or parallel. It is important to have a strong understanding of basic circuit laws and principles to determine which equations to use.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving circuits?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving circuits include not considering the direction of current flow, not properly labeling values and units, and not accounting for all components in the circuit. It is also important to carefully follow the steps in a systematic manner to avoid making calculation errors.

5. Are there any helpful tips for solving circuits?

Some helpful tips for solving circuits include drawing a clear and organized circuit diagram, using a consistent direction for current flow, labeling values and units, and checking your work for accuracy. It is also helpful to break down the circuit into smaller parts and solve them individually before combining the solutions.