1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circuit problem

1. Apr 3, 2005 #1
    In the attachment, the capcitors are identical. Across which terminals would you connect a battery in order for all the capacitors to charge up?
    There are selections of AB, AC, or BD and none.

The answer is none, but can anyone please explain to me why

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2005 #2
    There is no path in which you can reach current to all the capacitors. Once you reach a capacitor, the current will stop at that point (over time).
  4. Apr 3, 2005 #3
    Thanks for your explanation, but can you elaborate on that a little more, please? I still don't understand why you cannot charge all the capacitors(not to the max) to an extent?
  5. Apr 3, 2005 #4
    Ok here is an example if the battery is connected between A+ C then the bottom capacitor will not charge, but the others will. This is because nodes B and D will be at the same voltage.

The circuit can be redrawn to show the same thing works for A+B, and A+D.
  6. Apr 4, 2005 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nodes A and C are always at the same voltage, so the capacitor between them never gets charged.

- Warren
  7. Apr 4, 2005 #6
    If the two terminals of a battery are connected to the nodes A and C how can they be at [the same] voltages?
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2005
  8. Apr 4, 2005 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: I'm sorry, I didn't read the question that thoroughly.

- Warren
  9. Apr 4, 2005 #8
    All is right with the world then. :smile:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?