Circuit Question (Purpose of the Resistors)

In summary, the conversation is about a class in switching theory and a question regarding a schematic involving inputs, NAND gates, fuses, an OR gate, and resistors connected to ground. The purpose of the resistors is to act as pull-down resistors to force a low value when there is no load, and to allow for a high voltage when a load is present. The conversation mentions simulating removing the resistors and the effect on the circuit. The conversation also brings up the topic of floating inputs to CMOS gates and the importance of this concept in logic design.
yUNeeC2
Hey everybody,

I’m taking a class in switching theory, and am having a little trouble with a theoretical review question. There is a schematic, but I feel it’s unnecessary (and I don’t know how to post it.)

We have 2 inputs to a circuit, A and B. 3 combinations stem from this. A’B, A’B’, AB’ …these three combinations are each sent to an NAND gate. The outputs of these 3 NAND gates are each connected to a fuse and then run through an OR gate (which gives the final output).
Between each fuse and the OR gate, there is a connection that leads to a resistor which is connected to a ground.

We are supposed to be able to tell the function of the resistors/grounds, as well as what would happen if they were removed.

There is no DC labeled (assumed to be there though) and 3 resistors/grounds.
We do all of our work in TINA, and when I removed the resistors, nothing changed. (NOTE: the resistors aren’t in series with the output of the NANDS…they stem off of the NANDS output and would only be encountered (I guess) if the current chose to flow through that path)

If it makes any difference, we simulated destroying 1 or 2 of the fuses leaving no connection between the output of the NANDS and the input to the final OR gate. Don’t know if this would change the effect of the resistors.

Thanks so much for any help,
yUNeeC

Engineering news on Phys.org
Maybe they are just pull-down resistors.

It's purpose is to force a zero (low) value when no other component is driving the input (no load) by providing a current limited path to negative power source through the resistor, while allowing the voltage to swing high if a load is present.
(from WikiAnswer)

yUNeeC2 said:
Hey everybody,

I’m taking a class in switching theory, and am having a little trouble with a theoretical review question. There is a schematic, but I feel it’s unnecessary (and I don’t know how to post it.)

We have 2 inputs to a circuit, A and B. 3 combinations stem from this. A’B, A’B’, AB’ …these three combinations are each sent to an NAND gate. The outputs of these 3 NAND gates are each connected to a fuse and then run through an OR gate (which gives the final output).
Between each fuse and the OR gate, there is a connection that leads to a resistor which is connected to a ground.

We are supposed to be able to tell the function of the resistors/grounds, as well as what would happen if they were removed.

There is no DC labeled (assumed to be there though) and 3 resistors/grounds.
We do all of our work in TINA, and when I removed the resistors, nothing changed. (NOTE: the resistors aren’t in series with the output of the NANDS…they stem off of the NANDS output and would only be encountered (I guess) if the current chose to flow through that path)

If it makes any difference, we simulated destroying 1 or 2 of the fuses leaving no connection between the output of the NANDS and the input to the final OR gate. Don’t know if this would change the effect of the resistors.

Thanks so much for any help,
yUNeeC

They are addressing the issue of floating inputs to CMOS gates. Try a google search on this to see if you can find the answer. It's an important concept in logic design.

1. What is the purpose of resistors in a circuit?

Resistors are used to limit the flow of electric current in a circuit. They help regulate the strength of the current to prevent damage to other components, and also provide a specific amount of resistance to control the voltage in a circuit.

2. How do resistors affect the flow of electricity?

Resistors decrease the flow of electricity in a circuit by converting some of the electrical energy into heat. This reduces the amount of current flowing through the circuit and helps regulate the voltage.

3. What happens if a resistor is removed from a circuit?

If a resistor is removed from a circuit, the flow of electricity will increase and the voltage may become too high for other components to handle. This can result in damage to the circuit or cause it to malfunction.

4. How do I choose the right resistor for my circuit?

The resistance value of a resistor is measured in ohms and can be determined by the color-coded bands on the resistor. To select the appropriate resistor, you need to know the desired amount of current and voltage in your circuit and use Ohm's law (V=IR) to calculate the resistance needed.

5. Can resistors be used to control the brightness of a light or LED?

Yes, resistors can be used to control the brightness of a light or LED in a circuit. By adjusting the resistance, the amount of current flowing through the light can be regulated, resulting in a dimmer or brighter light.