Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circuit that reverses the flow of current to a motor

1. Mar 31, 2017 #1
    Hello, I am building a small car that upon hitting a wall will go backwards, in other words reverse the current flow. I have all the components requiered (resistors 3k and 1k, wires, 6V battery, and an H-bridge, locking button) only thing I do not know is how to connect them all together. If anyone could provide a diagram I would be more than thankful!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2017 #2

anorlunda

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What's does "small car" mean? Both a Toyota Corolla and a toy matchbox are small cars.

Where did you get a list of components, but not the schematic diagram? That makes no sense.

4. Mar 31, 2017 #3

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I believe your circuit will need a "storage element" (aka A "Latch", "Flip-Flop" or "bi-stable"). Otherwise when it backs away from the wall and the switch is released it will go forwards into the wall again. It needs to "remember" if it's in forward or reverse.

So I would use a circuit with two switches (one for the front of the car and one for the back) and a latch something like this...

Auto reverse.jpg

Be careful how you connect the output to the bridge. Think about what happens if both buttons are pressed by accident. You don't want both sides of the bridge turning on and shorting out the power supply (even momentarily).

5. Mar 31, 2017 #4

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ah I see you mention a locking button. If you mean a push button switch that stays in when pressed then that could be used instead of a latch but a latch would make it more interesting.

6. Apr 2, 2017 #5

Baluncore

Science Advisor

Do you have a circuit diagram or a link to an article on the subject?
    How did you decide what components to buy?
    Can you give us a list of part numbers and quantity for the electronic components you have?
    I assume your car has an electric motor. What voltage is the motor?
    How does the car detect when it hits a wall?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted