Circuit that reverses the flow of current to a motor

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Beembo
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Hello, I am building a small car that upon hitting a wall will go backwards, in other words reverse the current flow. I have all the components requiered (resistors 3k and 1k, wires, 6V battery, and an H-bridge, locking button) only thing I do not know is how to connect them all together. If anyone could provide a diagram I would be more than thankful!
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
What's does "small car" mean? Both a Toyota Corolla and a toy matchbox are small cars.Where did you get a list of components, but not the schematic diagram? That makes no sense.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Averagesupernova
I believe your circuit will need a "storage element" (aka A "Latch", "Flip-Flop" or "bi-stable"). Otherwise when it backs away from the wall and the switch is released it will go forwards into the wall again. It needs to "remember" if it's in forward or reverse.

So I would use a circuit with two switches (one for the front of the car and one for the back) and a latch something like this...

Auto reverse.jpg


Be careful how you connect the output to the bridge. Think about what happens if both buttons are pressed by accident. You don't want both sides of the bridge turning on and shorting out the power supply (even momentarily).
 
Ah I see you mention a locking button. If you mean a push button switch that stays in when pressed then that could be used instead of a latch but a latch would make it more interesting.
 
Beembo said:
I have all the components requiered
Do you have a circuit diagram or a link to an article on the subject?
How did you decide what components to buy?
Can you give us a list of part numbers and quantity for the electronic components you have?
I assume your car has an electric motor. What voltage is the motor?
How does the car detect when it hits a wall?