1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

[Circuits] Computing the Thevenin Equivalent #2

1. Jan 21, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

h_1390340433_1355490_7cf39d8773.png

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I am trying to find the equivalent resistance for part b.

First, we turn off independent sources. We open circuit the 2A source and we close circuit the 30V source. We're left with two resistors. Are they in series or parallel and why? I think it is in series because there's no other elements other than the two resistors.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2014 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Slide the 60 Ohm resistor down and to the right, into the position where the 30V source used to be. Now do the resistors look like they are in series or parallel, with respect to the two probe ponts 1 & 2?

4. Jan 21, 2014 #3
    They look like they're in parallel but I can also make them look like they're in series by sliding the 60 ohm resistor even further past the (2) node.

5. Jan 21, 2014 #4

berkeman

But then you've changed the question. The position of the 1 & 2 nodes is given to be where they are with respect to the two resistors. They are indeed in parallel. :smile:

6. Jan 21, 2014 #5
    But I removed the load so (1) and (2) aren't connected to anything.

As a side-question, what if we ignore (1) and (2), would the resistors be in series or parallel?

7. Jan 21, 2014 #6

berkeman

I don't understand what that means.

It all depends. You have to specifiy in series or parallel with respect to what. That circuit reduces to just the two resistors connected nose-to-tail by wires. If that's all there is, they are in series to make a total of 90 Ohms going around the loop.

8. Jan 21, 2014 #7
    I think I get it. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted