CIRCUITS: Four resistors and a voltage supply (very easy)

In summary, the conversation includes a discussion about solving for currents and power dissipation in a complex circuit. The participants discuss using KCL and KVL to set up equations and make guesses for the direction of the currents. They also mention that the circuit can be simplified into one equivalent resistor.
VinnyCee
Find v1 and v2 in the circuit shown. Also calculate i1 and i2 and the power dissipated in the 12-ohm and 40-ohm resistors:

PracticeProb2-12.jpg

My work so far:

[tex]i_1\,=\,\frac{N1\,-\,N2}{12\Omega}[/tex]

[tex]i_2\,=\,\frac{N2\,-\,0}{40\Omega}[/tex]

[tex]i_3\,=\,\frac{N1\,-\,N2}{6\Omega}[/tex]

[tex]i_4\,=\,\frac{N2\,-\,0}{10\Omega}[/tex]

KCL at N2: [tex]i_1\,+\,i_3\,=\,i_4\,+\,i_2[/tex]

KVL for loop 1: [tex]15V\,+\,i_3(6\Omega)\,+\,i_4(10\Omega)\,=\,0[/tex]

KVL for loop 2: [tex]i_4(10\Omega)\,-\,i_2(40\Omega)\,=\,0[/tex]

I have no idea where to go from here. These things are so confusing! What would I do to get the i1 and i2?

I know that the voltage at N1 is -15V, but how do I solve the rest?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can also loop around the top. You would then have 4 equations and 4 unknowns. Also, your expression:
[tex]i_4(10\ohm)\,+\,i_2(40\ohm)\,=\,0[/tex]

Lets say you are following the direction of the I4 current in your loop. When you come to the 40 ohm resistor the direction of the current is opposite of the direction of the loop. What does that say about the polarities?

Also, what would happen if you combined the 6k and 12k resistor, and the 10 and 40 resistor? What does that look like?

If you know the voltage across the 40ohm resistor, what is the voltage across the 10ohm?

KVL at loop 3: [tex]i_1\,(12\Omega)\,-\,i_3\,(6\Omega)\,=\,0[/tex]

Which makes a 4 X 4 matrix starting with the KCL and ending with the KVL3 equation:

[tex]\left[\begin{array}{ccccc}
1 & -1 & 1 & -1 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 6 & 10 & -15 \\
0 & -40 & 0 & 10 & 0 \\
12 & 0 & -1 & 0 & 0
\end{array}\right][/tex]

This RREF's out to:

[tex]i_1\,=\,-.4167\,A[/tex]

[tex]i_2\,=\,-.2500\,A[/tex]

These signs are flipped though, why?

Last edited:
VinnyCee said:
KVL for loop 1: [tex]15V\,+\,i_3(6\Omega)\,+\,i_4(10\Omega)\,=\,0[/tex]
Check signs?

The 2 resistors between nodes N1 and N2 are in parallel. You can replace them by their equivalent and use only 3 currents and 2 loops.

i = i1 +i3 = i4
In Loop 1 ,
15 -i3*6 - i4*10 = 0 (im not sure about this , its grounded ?)

In Loop 3,
i1*12 - 6*i3 = 0

In Loop 2
i2*40 - i4 * 10 = 0

That looks wrong to me oh but what the heck ...

junior_J said:
i = i1 +i3 = i4
In Loop 1 ,
15 -i3*6 - i4*10 = 0 (im not sure about this , its grounded ?)

In Loop 3,
i1*12 - 6*i3 = 0

In Loop 2
i2*40 - i4 * 10 = 0

That looks wrong to me oh but what the heck ...
At N2 there are four wires connected. Each of those has a labeled current. KCL at this node involves all four currents. You have not used them all.

The ground does not change the problem. It just establishes one point where we will call the potential zero. All that really matters is potential differences, so you can ignore the ground. (If the circuit showed multiple grounds that would be equivalent to having wires connecting the grounded points together.)

It would be best if you said which way you are going around the loop. For Loop 1 your equation is correct, and I would say you went around clockwise. For Loop 3 your equation is correct, and I would say you went around counterclockwise. For loop 2 your equation is correct, and I would say you went around counterclockwise.

Loops 2 and 3 were confusing (i made guesses but i didnt really choose a direction , infact i thought i was going clockwise for all the loops ) ... can u explain why i got the results that i got for 2 and 3 ... ? or may be explain how u would go about solving loops 2 and 3

hmm ... i guess i1 + i3 = i4 + i2 at node N2

junior_J said:
hmm ... i guess i1 + i3 = i4 + i2 at node N2
That is correct. I will respond to your other question in a few minutes.

junior_J said:
Loops 2 and 3 were confusing (i made guesses but i didnt really choose a direction , infact i thought i was going clockwise for all the loops ) ... can u explain why i got the results that i got for 2 and 3 ... ? or may be explain how u would go about solving loops 2 and 3
When you set up a problem, you guess at the direction of the current in each branch of a circuit. If you guess wrong it does not matter. All that happens is the solution gives you negative currents, which tells you that the current is opposite your guess. The directions in this diagram are reasonable guesses for the four currents.

I would use the CW direction for Loop 1 because I like to have voltage increases when going through a source of emf, and I would start by first going through the source. So I would write

+15V - i3*6Ω - i4*10Ω = 0

This is exactly the same as your equation.

For Loops 2 and 3 there are no sources of emf. Even if there were, it is often best to do all loops in the same direction, but it is not required. In this problem there is nothing even tempting me to change direction, so I will stick with CW. For Loop 3

- i1*12Ω + i3*6Ω = 0

The first term is negative because I am going in the direcion of the assumed current. The second term is positive because I am going against the assumed current.

For Loop 2

- i2*40Ω + i4*10Ω = 0

As for Loop 3, the first term is negative because I am going in the direcion of the assumed current. The second term is positive because I am going against the assumed current.

Combined with the KCL equation, there are now 4 equations for the 4 unknown currents. These can be solved to find each current.

You know that this entire circuit collapses into one equivalent resistor, right?

got it ! thank u ! and bless u ! :)

one more question how do other folks here draw those nifty little resistors ?? I can't imagine doing that on mspaint ? do they use some kinda physics software package or something ?

junior_J said:
got it ! thank u ! and bless u ! :)

one more question how do other folks here draw those nifty little resistors ?? I can't imagine doing that on mspaint ? do they use some kinda physics software package or something ?
I do not know where those diagrams came from. They are probably from some commercial circuit drawing program.

I used CorelDRAW 10 for the diagram. After you have a set of elements made (resistor, CCVS, etc.) it is not that hard to do. The tedious part is making and copying the elements and then marking their values. There is a program called Pspice that will solve circuits like this one.

What is a circuit?

A circuit is a path or loop through which electricity can flow. It is made up of various components, such as resistors and a power source, that work together to create an electrical current.

What are resistors?

Resistors are electronic components that limit the flow of electrical current in a circuit. They are used to control the amount of electricity that passes through a circuit and are often used to protect other components from damage.

How does a voltage supply work?

A voltage supply, also known as a power supply, is an electronic device that converts a source of energy into a usable electrical signal. It provides a constant voltage to the circuit, which allows for the flow of current through the various components.

What is the purpose of four resistors in a circuit?

The four resistors in a circuit work together to control the amount of current that flows through the circuit. They can be arranged in different ways, such as in series or parallel, to achieve different levels of resistance and control the flow of electricity.

How do I calculate the total resistance in a circuit with four resistors?

To calculate the total resistance in a circuit with four resistors, you can use the formula Rtotal = R1 + R2 + R3 + R4. This means that the total resistance is equal to the sum of the individual resistances. Keep in mind the arrangement of the resistors (series or parallel) can affect the total resistance calculation.