Solving Circuits Problem: Find Current Through R1 & R2

• Thread starter thercias
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuits
In summary, To find the current through R1 and R2 in a circuit, you will need to know the voltage and resistance values for each component. The type of circuit (series or parallel) and the total circuit resistance may also be needed. In a series circuit, the current is the same at all points while in a parallel circuit, the current is divided between branches. To calculate the total resistance in a series circuit, you simply add up the resistance values. For a parallel circuit, you can use the formula 1/Rtotal = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + ... + 1/Rn to find the total resistance.
thercias

Homework Statement

Find the current through R1 and R2 if R1 is 15 and R2 is 12.7
p18-67.gif

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to start or complete this question. Everything that I do ends up wrong. Can anyone help me out here?

Physics news on Phys.org
nevermind, got it

Related to Solving Circuits Problem: Find Current Through R1 & R2

1. How do I determine the current through R1 and R2 in a circuit?

To find the current through R1 and R2, you will need to use Ohm's Law, which states that current (I) is equal to the voltage (V) divided by the resistance (R). So, you will need to know the voltage and resistance values for R1 and R2 to calculate the current.

2. What information do I need to solve a circuit problem?

To solve a circuit problem and find the current through R1 and R2, you will need to know the voltage and resistance values for each component in the circuit. You may also need to know the type of circuit (series or parallel) and the total circuit resistance.

3. What is the difference between series and parallel circuits?

In a series circuit, the components are connected in a single loop or path, and the current is the same at all points in the circuit. In a parallel circuit, the components are connected in multiple branches, and the current is divided between the branches. This means that the current through R1 and R2 will be different in a series circuit, but the same in a parallel circuit.

4. How do I calculate the total resistance in a series circuit?

To calculate the total resistance in a series circuit, you simply add up the resistance values of each component. For example, if R1 has a resistance of 10 ohms and R2 has a resistance of 20 ohms, the total resistance would be 30 ohms.

5. How do I calculate the total resistance in a parallel circuit?

To calculate the total resistance in a parallel circuit, you will need to use the formula 1/Rtotal = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + ... + 1/Rn, where R1, R2, etc. are the resistance values of each branch. Once you have this value, you can use Ohm's Law to find the current through R1 and R2.