Circular Motion and angle alpha

In summary, an attempt was made to find an equation for the angle alpha of a plumb bob deflected due to a massive mountain nearby. A right triangle was created with vector mg, vector Fm, and the hypotenuse. The angle alpha was found to be 90-theta where tan(theta)=mg/Fm. There is no information given on the question asking for the equation for b.
Carpe Mori

Homework Statement

A plumb bob is deflected from the vertical by an angle alpha due to a massive mountain nearby. (A) Find an approximate formula for alpha in terms of the mass of the mountain the distance to its center and the radius and mass of the earth
(B) Make a rough estimate of the mass of mt everest assuming it has the shape say of an equilateral pyramid or cone 4k m above its base and then (c) estimate the angle alpha of the pendulum bob if it is 5 km from the center of mt everest

Homework Equations

F= G*m1*m2/r^2

G = 6.67*10^-11

shoot idk throw some vector equations in there too

The Attempt at a Solution

well...i said
Mm = mass of mountain
m = mass of bob
Dm = Distance to mountain from bob
Fm = force exerted by mountain on bob
Me = Mass of earth
Re = radius of earth

Fm = G*Mm*m/(Dm)^2
g = G*Me/(Re)^2

i made a right triangle with vector mg, vector Fm and hypotnuse of the deflected bob string

using trig i got alpha = 90 - theta where tan(theta) = mg/Fm

I know this can't be anywhere near to right...and i don't want to attempt other parts before i get this...PLEASE HELP!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That's right, if you really mean alpha=90-theta where tan(theta)=mg/Fm. Then tan(alpha)=Fm/mg.

Ok now can anyone help me figure out B...that is if i got A correct. I really honestly have no idea what they want me to do for B. Idk if I am supposed to look up values for this or what (i can find a rough volume of it i suppose but its not like i know the base or anything) I am certain there is NO more info on the question

PLZ HELP!

It says 'rough estimate'. This means 'order of magnitude'. You could say the base is a square 4km on a side, you could say it's a circle 3.5km in radius, it doesn't matter. They will only pay attention to the exponent in the angle (which will be REALLY small). You'll also need to know the density but you don't know the density either. Guess. Probably about the same density as any rock you can think of. Or the density of the earth, or even the density of water. You'll still be in the same ballpark.

well that problem was officially boring. Thank you very much Dick!

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is a type of motion where an object moves in a circular path around a fixed point. The object's velocity and acceleration are constantly changing, but the magnitude of its speed remains constant.

2. What is the difference between centripetal and centrifugal force?

Centripetal force is the force that pulls an object towards the center of its circular path, keeping it in motion. Centrifugal force, on the other hand, is a fictitious force that appears to push an object outward from the center of rotation. It is actually the result of inertia and the object's tendency to move in a straight line.

3. What is the relationship between circular motion and angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of how fast an object is rotating around a fixed point. In circular motion, the angular velocity is directly proportional to the linear speed of the object and the radius of the circular path. This means that as the object moves faster or the radius increases, the angular velocity also increases.

4. How is angle alpha related to circular motion?

Angle alpha, also known as the angle of rotation, is the amount of rotation an object has undergone in circular motion. It is measured in radians and is equal to the length of the arc divided by the radius of the circle. As the object continues to move in its circular path, the angle alpha increases.

5. What are some real-life examples of circular motion?

Some common examples of circular motion include the motion of planets around the sun, the rotation of a bicycle wheel, and the circular motion of a satellite in orbit around the Earth. Other examples include the motion of a Ferris wheel, a swinging pendulum, and a record spinning on a turntable.