How Far Can a Brass Block Be Placed on a Rotating Turntable Before Sliding Off?

In summary, the conversation discusses the coefficient of friction between a brass block and a revolving turntable, and how to determine the maximum distance the block can be placed from the axis of rotation before sliding off. The equations used are µsN=4(pi^2)(mrf^2) and F=mews=mg, with the goal of finding the value of T to plug into the equations. However, the numbers are not manipulating correctly and the answer is coming out wrong.
emma_elizabet
Circular Motion and Friction (PLEASE HELP!)

Homework Statement

The coefficient of friction between a certain brass block and a large revolving turntable is µ = 0.21. How far from the axis of rotation can the block be placed before it slides off the turntable if the turntable rotates at a constant rate of 33 1/3 rev/min (so that it requires time T = 60/33.33 seconds to complete one revolution) ?

Homework Equations

I think that µsN=4(pi^2)(mrf^2) should work, except I don't understand how to solve this sans any mass or other information.

The Attempt at a Solution

All I can get is that T=3.49 rad/s. I just don't understand how to do this problem!

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you are dealing with forces here, the first thing you want to do is draw a freebody diagram to account for all of the forces acting on the ring.

Then decide what theory you wish to apply to solving the prolem. Do you have this done? As it will be easier for us to guide you if you do.

So I got F=mews=mg. F also =m(v^2/r). Insert equation for v=(2pir)/t into quation for F, and then set the two F equations to be equal to each other, ultimately resulting in mewsg=((2pir)^2/T)/r. I simply cannot get the numbers to manipulate correctly and I keep getting wrong answers.

Related to How Far Can a Brass Block Be Placed on a Rotating Turntable Before Sliding Off?

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is the movement of an object along a circular path. It can occur when an object is moving at a constant speed around a fixed point, or when the speed and direction of an object are changing at a constant rate.

2. What causes circular motion?

Circular motion is caused by a centripetal force, which is a force directed towards the center of the circular path. This force keeps the object moving in a circular motion and prevents it from moving in a straight line.

3. What is friction and how does it affect circular motion?

Friction is a force that opposes the motion of an object. In circular motion, friction can affect the speed and direction of the object. It can also cause the object to slow down or stop if the frictional force is greater than the centripetal force.

4. How do you calculate the centripetal force in circular motion?

The centripetal force can be calculated using the equation Fc = m * v^2 / r, where Fc is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the object, v is the speed of the object, and r is the radius of the circular path.

5. What are some real-life examples of circular motion?

Some real-life examples of circular motion include the rotation of the Earth around the Sun, the movement of a car around a roundabout, and the motion of a satellite in orbit around a planet. Ferris wheels, roller coasters, and merry-go-rounds are also common examples of circular motion.