Circular motion (conical pendulum)

In summary, the ball of mass 2kg is attached to one end of a light, inextensible string and the string passes through a smooth, fixed ring, O. Another ball of mass 4kg is attached to the other end of the string. The ball of mass 2kg is made to move as a conical pendulum while the ball of mass 4kg hangs vertically below the ring. If the speed of the ball of mass 2kg is 7ms^(-1), how long is the section BO of the ring?
kingkong69
A ball, B, of mass 2kg is attached to one end of a light, inextensible string. The string passes through a smooth, fixed ring, O, and a second Ball, A, of mass 4 kg, is attached to the other end. B is made to move as a conical pendulum while A hangs vertically below the ring. If the speed of B is 7ms^(-1), how long is the section BO of the ring.

I drew a little pixie.
[PLAIN]http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/7783/54071583.png

F=mrW(angular velocity)^2, v=rWThe answer is 4/3 metres.

ATTEMPT:
my attempt:
solve horizontally, so mrW^2=(r/d)*T
r is radius on both sides, d is the distance BO, T is tension in the moving string
r/d is cosB

7=rW
W^2=49/r^2

so
98/r=(r/d)*T

Vertically

4*g=sinB*T

Im stuck here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
you must show your attempt in order to get help

my attempt:
r is radius on both sides, d is the distance BO, T is tension in the moving string
r/d is cosB

7=rW
W^2=49/r^2

so
98/r=(r/d)*T

Vertically

4*g=sinB*T

and that's what i have so far

kingkong69 said:
Vertically

4*g=sinB*T
4*g is the weight of the hanging ball (A), not the moving ball (B).

You'll need vertical force equations for both balls.

please Doc Al be more specific

kingkong69 said:
What forces act on each ball? Write force equations for horizontal and vertical components for each ball. (You've already done some of that.) You'll end up with three equations, which you'll solve together.

I understand I should solve it alone for my own benefit but I spent hours and I really stuck, sorry for being so reliant but will you help me out on this question?

welcome to pf!

hi kingkong69! welcome to pf! :smile:

(have an omega: ω and try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)
kingkong69 said:
my attempt:
r/d is cosB

7=rW
W^2=49/r^2

so
98/r=(r/d)*T

Vertically

4*g=sinB*T

and that's what i have so far
Doc Al said:
You'll need vertical force equations for both balls.
kingkong69 said:

you need the vertical equation for B :wink:

kingkong69 said:
I understand I should solve it alone for my own benefit but I spent hours and I really stuck, sorry for being so reliant but will you help me out on this question?
As I mentioned in post #4, you need to correct this equation:
kingkong69 said:
Vertically

4*g=sinB*T
I think you meant that to be for the moving mass (B), but you used the wrong mass.

You also need an equation for the vertical forces on the hanging mass (A). (That one's easy.)

Got it! Thanks a ton!

1. What is circular motion in the context of a conical pendulum?

Circular motion in a conical pendulum refers to the movement of the pendulum bob in a circular path, as opposed to a back-and-forth motion like a traditional pendulum. This circular motion is created by the combination of the pendulum's weight and the tension in the string.

2. How does the length of the string affect the circular motion of a conical pendulum?

The length of the string affects the circular motion of a conical pendulum by changing the radius of the circular path. A longer string will result in a larger radius and slower circular motion, while a shorter string will result in a smaller radius and faster circular motion.

3. What is the relationship between the speed of the pendulum and its angular velocity in circular motion?

The speed of the pendulum is directly proportional to its angular velocity in circular motion. This means that as the pendulum speeds up, its angular velocity also increases, and as it slows down, its angular velocity decreases.

4. How does the mass of the pendulum bob impact the circular motion of a conical pendulum?

The mass of the pendulum bob does not significantly affect the circular motion of a conical pendulum. As long as the mass is not too large, the circular motion will remain consistent. However, a larger mass may require a stronger tension in the string to maintain the circular motion.

5. What factors can cause a conical pendulum to deviate from perfect circular motion?

A conical pendulum can deviate from perfect circular motion due to factors such as air resistance, friction in the string, and the weight of the pendulum bob. These forces can cause the pendulum to slow down, change direction, or lose its circular path altogether.