Circular Motion: Location & Speed at t=1s

• Thread starter xstetsonx
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motion
In summary: DGIn summary, the conversation discusses the location and speed of a reference dot on a computer disk with a diameter of 8.0 cm. The dot starts at an initial angle of θ = +45° and accelerates steadily for 1 second, reaching a speed of 1480 rpm. It then coasts at a steady angular velocity for another 1 second. The conversation also mentions using the equation v=rw to find the angular velocity and using a diagram to find the area under the curve. However, it is mentioned that this method may not be correct and the correct approach is to use the equation θ = θ_0 + ω_0t + 1/2αt^2 to find
xstetsonx
1. A computer disk is 8.0 cm in diameter. A reference dot on the edge of the disk is initially located at θ = +45°. The disk accelerates steadily for second, reaching 1480 rpm, then coasts at steady angular velocity for another second. What are the location and speed of the reference dot at t = 1 s?

2. v=rw

3. i already got the 6.28 m/s for speed. and i thought since i have speed i can just do v=rw to get w and then draw a diagram to get the area under the curve. After i got the area just use delta theta/ 2pi=revolution. then minus the whole number and take the decimal to divide by 360 then plus 45 right? but appreantly i am wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
xstetsonx said:
1. A computer disk is 8.0 cm in diameter. A reference dot on the edge of the disk is initially located at θ = +45°. The disk accelerates steadily for second, reaching 1480 rpm, then coasts at steady angular velocity for another second. What are the location and speed of the reference dot at t = 1 s?

2. v=rw3. i already got the 6.28 m/s for speed. and i thought since i have speed i can just do v=rw to get w and then draw a diagram to get the area under the curve. After i got the area just use delta theta/ 2pi=revolution. then minus the whole number and take the decimal to divide by 360 then plus 45 right? but appreantly i am wrong

We assume it is at rest at t=0 and accelerates until t = 1s at which time its speed [itex]\omege =2960\pi[/itex] rad/sec. To find the angle it covers in that first second, use:

[tex]\theta = \theta_0 + \omega_0t + \frac{1}{2}\alpha t^2[/itex]

AM

Last edited:

I would like to clarify some misconceptions in your response. Firstly, the equation v=rw (where v is linear velocity, r is the radius, and w is angular velocity) applies to objects moving in a circular path at a constant speed. In this scenario, the disk is accelerating and then coasting, so this equation cannot be used.

To solve for the location and speed of the reference dot at t=1s, we can use the formula for angular displacement, Δθ = ω0t + 1/2αt^2, where ω0 is the initial angular velocity, α is the angular acceleration, and t is time.

We are given the initial angular velocity (1480 rpm) and the time (1 second), but we need to find the angular acceleration. We can use the formula α = (ωf - ω0)/t, where ωf is the final angular velocity.

Since the disk coasts at a steady angular velocity, ωf = ω0 = 1480 rpm. Converting this to radians per second, we get ωf = 155.5 rad/s.

Plugging in these values, we get α = (155.5 rad/s - 1480 rpm)/1s = -133.5 rad/s^2.

Now, we can plug this value of α into the formula for angular displacement to find the location of the reference dot at t=1s.

Δθ = (1480 rpm)(1 s) + 1/2(-133.5 rad/s^2)(1 s)^2 = 1362.5 radians.

To find the location of the reference dot, we need to convert this to degrees. 1362.5 radians is equivalent to approximately 77699 degrees.

As for the speed, we can use the formula v = rω, where r is the radius (4 cm or 0.04 m) and ω is the angular velocity.

Plugging in the values, we get v = (0.04 m)(155.5 rad/s) = 6.22 m/s. This is slightly different from the value you calculated, but it is because we used the exact value for ωf instead of rounding it to 1480 rpm.

In summary, the location of the reference dot at t=1s is approximately

Related to Circular Motion: Location & Speed at t=1s

What is circular motion and how is it defined?

Circular motion is the movement of an object along a circular path. It is defined as the acceleration of an object towards a fixed point, called the center of the circle, while maintaining a constant speed.

What is the difference between uniform circular motion and non-uniform circular motion?

Uniform circular motion is when an object moves along a circular path at a constant speed. Non-uniform circular motion is when an object's speed changes as it moves along a circular path, resulting in varying acceleration.

How can the location of an object in circular motion be determined at a specific time, such as t=1s?

The location of an object in circular motion at a specific time can be determined using the equation x = r * cos(ωt), where x is the position, r is the radius of the circle, ω is the angular velocity, and t is the time.

What is the relationship between speed and radius in circular motion?

The speed of an object in circular motion is directly proportional to the radius of the circle. This means that as the radius increases, the speed also increases, and vice versa.

How can the speed of an object in circular motion be calculated at a specific time, such as t=1s?

The speed of an object in circular motion can be calculated using the equation v = r * ω, where v is the speed, r is the radius of the circle, and ω is the angular velocity. To calculate the angular velocity, use the equation ω = 2π / T, where T is the period of the circular motion.