Circular Motion Problem: Multiple Masses

In summary, the discussion is about three masses connected by strings and swung in a vertical circle. The question is which string has the greatest tension and which string has the smallest tension. The attempted solution proposes that String 3 has the greatest tension because it is farther away from the center, and that all three tension forces are equal. However, further thought and a free-body diagram may be necessary to explain the results mathematically. Additionally, the consideration of gravity may affect the solution.
theed21

Homework Statement

Three masses are connected by strings and swung in a verticle circle. You are holding string 1 which is attached to a mass attached to string 2 likewise attached to another mass string 3. Which string has the greatest tension? Which string has the smallest tension?

Homework Equations

Centripetal force = m(v^2)/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I said that String 3 has the greatest tension because the object will make a bigger circle because it is farther away from the center. And the tension force is the same as centripetal force in this case which is mv^2/r. velocity has r in the numerator so when you square it, r ends up on top in the force equation. So as the bigger the radius, the larger tension force. My friend insists that all three tension string forces are equal.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello theed21,

Welcome to Physics Forums!
theed21 said:

Homework Statement

Three masses are connected by strings and swung in a verticle circle. You are holding string 1 which is attached to a mass attached to string 2 likewise attached to another mass string 3. Which string has the greatest tension? Which string has the smallest tension?
By that I am assuming that that string/mass system is swinging around "you." In other words I'm assuming that your hand is at the center of rotation.

Homework Equations

Centripetal force = m(v^2)/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I said that String 3 has the greatest tension because the object will make a bigger circle because it is farther away from the center. And the tension force is the same as centripetal force in this case which is mv^2/r. velocity has r in the numerator so when you square it, r ends up on top in the force equation. So as the bigger the radius, the larger tension force. My friend insists that all three tension string forces are equal.
Both you and your friend should give this problem a little more thought. Drawing a free-body diagram might help as well, if you wish to explain the results mathematically.

But let me at least offer this for consideration. Take a look at one of the masses in isolation. For example, let's take M2, which has a string 2 on one side and string 3 on the other. In other words, ignoring gravity* there are two forces acting on M2: T3 and T2.

If T3T2, as you and/or your friend proposed, then how is it that M2 is accelerating in the direction of T2 to maintain the circular motion?

*(I'm not sure if gravity is supposed to fit into this problem. The problem statement did indicate the the masses are swung in a vertical circle, which would normally indicate that gravity is another force to consider. Are you sure you don't mean horizontal circle? I suppose it doesn't matter though. The mathematics would be more difficult when considering gravity but the qualitative answer wouldn't change, assuming all the strings remain on a straight line.)

1. What is circular motion and how does it differ from linear motion?

Circular motion is the movement of an object along a circular path, where the object's distance from a fixed point remains constant. This differs from linear motion, which involves movement in a straight line with a constant speed.

2. How does mass affect circular motion?

Mass affects circular motion by influencing the amount of centripetal force needed to keep an object in circular motion. The greater the mass of an object, the greater the force needed to maintain its circular path.

3. What is centripetal force and how is it calculated?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. It is calculated using the formula F = mv^2/r, where F is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path.

4. How does adding multiple masses to a circular motion problem change the calculations?

Adding multiple masses to a circular motion problem changes the calculations by requiring the use of the total mass of all the objects involved in the circular motion. The centripetal force must also be divided among the masses, as each object contributes to the overall force required to maintain the circular path.

5. What are some real-life examples of circular motion problems with multiple masses?

Some real-life examples of circular motion problems with multiple masses include the motion of planets around the sun, the rotation of a Ferris wheel, and the movement of satellites in orbit around a planet. These situations involve multiple masses moving in circular paths and require calculations to determine the centripetal force needed to maintain the circular motion.