What is the speed of the lighthouse beam along the shoreline?

In summary, the problem asks for the speed of a lighthouse beam along the shoreline when it is 1km away from the nearest point P, given that the light makes four revolutions per minute. Using the equation Tan θ = x/3, where θ is the center angle and x is the distance from P, we can find the angular speed of the beam using the equation C = 2∏r and the given information. This results in a solution of dx/dt = 80∏, which may seem too fast. However, we can find the angular speed in units of radians per second by converting 4 revolutions per minute to 2∏ radians per 15 seconds. This gives us a more accurate
Feodalherren

Homework Statement

A lighthouse is located on a small island 3km away from the nearest point P on a straight shoreline and its light makes four revolutions per minute. How fast is the beam moving along the shoreline when it is 1km from P?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a picture and got a triangle out of it. I labeled the center angle θ and a straight line from P that's 1km long as X.

Tan θ = x/3

Want dx/dt when dθ/dt = 24∏

correct?
The reasoning was that
C = 2∏r

r=3

C=6∏ but 4 revolutions/min gives me 24∏.

I get dx/dt = 80∏ as the solution, that seems way too fast.

Physics news on Phys.org
Feodalherren said:

Homework Statement

A lighthouse is located on a small island 3km away from the nearest point P on a straight shoreline and its light makes four revolutions per minute. How fast is the beam moving along the shoreline when it is 1km from P?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a picture and got a triangle out of it. I labeled the center angle θ and a straight line from P that's 1km long as X.

Tan θ = x/3

Want dx/dt when dθ/dt = 24∏

correct?
The reasoning was that
C = 2∏r

r=3

C=6∏ but 4 revolutions/min gives me 24∏.

I get dx/dt = 80∏ as the solution, that seems way too fast.

4 revolutions per minute gives 2∏ radians per 15 seconds. What does that give you for ω in units of radians per second?

Hmm I'm not following... Could you tell me how you arrived at that?

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is the movement of an object along a circular path. This type of motion is characterized by a constant distance between the object and the center of the circle, as well as a constant speed along the circumference of the circle.

2. How is circular motion different from linear motion?

Circular motion involves movement along a circular path, while linear motion involves movement in a straight line. In circular motion, the direction of the object is constantly changing, whereas in linear motion, the direction remains constant.

3. What is the relationship between centripetal force and circular motion?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. It acts towards the center of the circle and is necessary to maintain the object's velocity and direction in circular motion.

4. How do you calculate the speed of an object in circular motion?

The speed of an object in circular motion can be calculated using the formula v = 2πr/T, where v is the speed, r is the radius of the circle, and T is the time taken to complete one revolution.

5. Can an object in circular motion have a constant speed but varying velocity?

Yes, an object in circular motion can have a constant speed but varying velocity. This is because velocity also takes into account the direction of motion, which is constantly changing in circular motion.