How Far Does an Object Travel on a 4m Diameter Circle with a 45 Degree Shift?

In summary, the object travels in a circular trajectory with a diameter of 4m and the change in angle of movement is 45 degrees. Using the circumference formula, the distance traveled is calculated to be 1.6m. However, further clarification is needed as to whether a calculator can be used for the calculation.
Emethyst

Homework Statement

An object travels in a circular trajectory that has a diameter of 4m. From start to finish the change in the angle of movement is 45 degrees. How far has the object travelled?

Homework Equations

Circumference formula

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by drawing out a circle and filling in the info given. From what was supplied in the question, I decided to use the circumference formula and then divide the answer obtained by 8 to take into account the change of angle. The answer I came up with was 1.6m. I'm not sure if this is correct because I'm not supposed to have to use a calculator to come up with the answer, so I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong. If anyone can point out any mistakes I could've made it would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
In 360 degrees it travels πd meters
in 45 degrees how far does it go??

Your attempt at solving the problem is a good start. However, the circumference formula is not the most appropriate equation to use in this scenario. The formula for arc length, s = rθ (where r is the radius and θ is the central angle), would be more suitable. In this case, the radius is half of the diameter (2m) and the central angle is 45 degrees. Therefore, the distance travelled would be s = (2m)(45 degrees) = 2m. This means that the object has travelled a distance of 2 meters along the circular path.

Furthermore, it is always a good practice to check your units when solving a problem. In this case, the units for the radius and central angle would be in meters and degrees, respectively. Therefore, the units for the distance travelled would be in meters, which is consistent with the given information.

In summary, the object has travelled a distance of 2 meters along the circular trajectory. Keep up the good work in applying the appropriate equations and units in problem-solving.

Related to How Far Does an Object Travel on a 4m Diameter Circle with a 45 Degree Shift?

1. What is a circular trajectory?

A circular trajectory is the path that an object follows when it moves in a circle. This type of motion is characterized by a constant distance from a central point, as well as a constant speed and direction.

2. What is the difference between a circular trajectory and a straight trajectory?

A circular trajectory involves motion in a circular path, while a straight trajectory involves motion in a straight line. In a circular trajectory, the object's velocity is constantly changing direction, while in a straight trajectory, the object's velocity remains constant in one direction.

3. What are some examples of circular trajectories?

Some common examples of circular trajectories include objects moving in a circle on a merry-go-round, planets orbiting around the sun, and a ball spinning around in a hula hoop.

4. How is circular trajectory related to centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular trajectory. It acts towards the center of the circle and is necessary to counteract the object's tendency to move in a straight line due to its inertia.

5. How is circular trajectory used in real-world applications?

Circular trajectory is used in various real-world applications, such as in the design of roller coasters, satellite orbits, and the movement of vehicles around curves. It is also important in understanding the motion of celestial bodies and the behavior of objects in centrifuges.