Interference between two waves problem

In summary, the largest possible wavelength for the traveling wave emitted by the sources is 1.6cm, with the two waves being out of phase and having a path difference of (m+1/2)λ. The distance from the sources to the point P is represented by r1 and r2, while the angle 26.3 degrees represents the angle between the two sources.
lemin_rew

Homework Statement

Assume that the waves from the sources are emitted in phase, and that at the point P, amplitude of the disturbance is zero. what is the wavelength of the traveling wave emitted by the sources? (there is more than one possible answer here,but provide the largest possible wavelength.)
Known:
r1=15.4cm
r2=16.2cm
d=1.8cm
θ=26.3°

Homework Equations

Δr=nλ

The Attempt at a Solution

maximum wavelength, n=0
Δr=|16.2cm-15.4cm|
=0.8cm
I am lost, please help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Note that when the waves combine at point P, the total distrubance has zero amplitude.

Is this constructive or destructive interference?

Are the two waves "in phase" or "out of phase" at point at point P?

What does the path difference Δr need to be in terms of λ in order to produce the answer to the previous question?

TSny said:
Note that when the waves combine at point P, the total distrubance has zero amplitude.

Is this constructive or destructive interference?

Are the two waves "in phase" or "out of phase" at point at point P?

What does the path difference Δr need to be in terms of λ in order to produce the answer to the previous question?

it is destructive because the it has nodes(minimum amplitude), and they are out of phase.
the path difference Δr need to be the multiple of λ? I am not sure how to approach from now on...

lemin_rew said:
it is destructive because the it has nodes(minimum amplitude), and they are out of phase.
Yes, that's right, they must be out of phase.
the path difference Δr need to be the multiple of λ?

No, this isn't correct. Suppose you draw two waves side by side with the same λ so that they are in phase (i.e., crest of one wave beside crest of the other wave). Now suppose you shift one wave by λ; that is, slide one wave by the distance λ relative to the other wave. Are the waves now in phase, out of phase, or something else?

TSny said:
Yes, that's right, they must be out of phase.

No, this isn't correct. Suppose you draw two waves side by side with the same λ so that they are in phase (i.e., crest of one wave beside crest of the other wave). Now suppose you shift one wave by λ; that is, slide one wave by the distance λ relative to the other wave. Are the waves now in phase, out of phase, or something else?

so...then the waves are now in phase?
sorry i don't think I am understanding it...fully

lemin_rew said:
so...then the waves are now in phase?
sorry i don't think I am understanding it...fully

Yes, if you slide one wave a distance λ relative to the other, then you will still have wave crests next to each other. So, they would still be in phase.

You want the waves to be out of phase. How far would you need to shift one wave in order to get it to be out of phase with the other wave?

TSny said:
Yes, if you slide one wave a distance λ relative to the other, then you will still have wave crests next to each other. So, they would still be in phase.

You want the waves to be out of phase. How far would you need to shift one wave in order to get it to be out of phase with the other wave?

1? so then m=1 and
the equation becomes Δr=(m+1/2)λ
0.8cm (1+1/2)λ
λ=0.53?? is this right??...

No, not quite right yet. If two waves start out in phase and you want to get them out of phase, then one wave will need to be shifted so that a crest of one wave is now next to a trough of the other wave. Since the distance between a crest and a trough is (1/2)λ, you need to shift one of the waves by (1/2)λ. Or, you could shift by (1 + 1/2)λ, (2+1/2)λ, (3+1/2)λ, etc. In general, the waves will end up out of phase if the shift is (m+1/2)λ where m can be 0, 1, 2, 3, ...

So, you need the path difference Δr to be one of these possible shifts. Pick the shift that gives the largest λ for the answer.

TSny said:
No, not quite right yet. If two waves start out in phase and you want to get them out of phase, then one wave will need to be shifted so that a crest of one wave is now next to a trough of the other wave. Since the distance between a crest and a trough is (1/2)λ, you need to shift one of the waves by (1/2)λ. Or, you could shift by (1 + 1/2)λ, (2+1/2)λ, (3+1/2)λ, etc. In general, the waves will end up out of phase if the shift is (m+1/2)λ where m can be 0, 1, 2, 3, ...

So, you need the path difference Δr to be one of these possible shifts. Pick the shift that gives the largest λ for the answer.

so then, when m=0 gives the biggest wavelength.
hence, 0.8cm=(0+1/2)λ
λ=1.6cm.
is this correct?

OK, so you will chose m = 0 to get the longest wave. I'm not sure if you have the correct answer yet, since I'm not sure of the meaning of r1 and r2. Are they the distances from the sources to the point P. What does the angle 26.3o represent in the problem?

TSny said:
OK, so you will chose m = 0 to get the longest wave. I'm not sure if you have the correct answer yet, since I'm not sure of the meaning of r1 and r2. Are they the distances from the sources to the point P. What does the angle 26.3o represent in the problem?

yes r1 and r2 is are the distances from point p. and the angle is between the midpoint of d(distance of the slits) to p. it was needed for the other question for calculating dsinθ.
i don't think the angle is involved in the question i posted here.

OK, I think you have the correct answer. :smile:

TSny said:
OK, I think you have the correct answer. :smile:

Thank you so much for your time and help. i really appreciate it!:)

Related to Interference between two waves problem

1. What is interference between two waves?

Interference between two waves is a phenomenon that occurs when two waves meet and interact with each other. This interaction can result in the waves canceling each other out or amplifying each other, depending on their amplitudes and phases.

2. How does interference between two waves occur?

Interference between two waves occurs when the waves meet at the same point in space and time. This can happen when two waves from the same source or from different sources travel through the same medium and overlap.

3. What causes interference between two waves?

The interference between two waves is caused by the superposition of the individual waves. This means that the displacement of the medium at a certain point is the sum of the displacements of the two waves at that point.

4. What is the difference between constructive and destructive interference?

Constructive interference occurs when the waves are in phase and their amplitudes add up, resulting in a wave with a larger amplitude. Destructive interference occurs when the waves are out of phase and their amplitudes cancel each other out, resulting in a wave with a smaller amplitude or no wave at all.

5. How is interference between two waves used in everyday life?

Interference between two waves is used in a variety of everyday applications, such as noise-canceling headphones, radio transmission, and medical ultrasound imaging. It is also a fundamental concept in understanding the properties of light and sound waves.